Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

moving electrical outlets in kitchen to add a tile backsplash

Old 01-31-12, 07:40 AM

We're renovating an older home. It had formica countertops with a formica backsplash, and electrical outlets mounted accordingly. We've removed the formica backsplash and simply want to replace it with tile, but the tile is thick...maybe 3/8" thick.

We can dislodge the electrical box from the stud, but the wiring is too short to allow us to move the box out far enough to make it fit with the new backsplash.

What is the best way to get an extra couple of inches here?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-12, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator
No expert, but you shouldn't need "an extra couple of inches", unless I'm missing something. They make box extenders that will bring the box and outlet far enough out. Here's one brand...ReceptXtenders electrical box extender, receptacle box extenders by Gadget Mania Inc.

Old 01-31-12, 08:04 AM
Apparently, according to a handyman that's looked at it, the wiring is stapled somewhere in the wall, prohibiting the box from moving more than 1/4", which won't be enough. He says there is just not enough wire available to move the box out far enough. So I guess I must be missing something here. Thanks for your comments though. I need all the help I can get.

Old 01-31-12, 08:13 AM
Group Moderator
Yes, the wire is stapled but you don't move the box you just extend how far it protrudes by adding the extension to the front of it. If the wires are so short the receptacle can't be pulled out far enough then you splice short sections of wire on to them.

Old 01-31-12, 08:34 AM
This is actually the answer I was looking for, but it seemed so simple that I was sure it must not be an acceptable solution.

And if the box isn't big enough to hold all of the extra splices, wire nuts, etc. do I need a bigger box, or will most states building codes allow the splices to be pushed outside the box?

Old 01-31-12, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator
No...all wiring must be contained w/in the box. I find it very hard to believe you won't have enough slack in the wires. Unless they connected the outlet, pulled it tight into the box, then ran the wires and stapled them. Standard is to leave about 4 inches of wire (or more) so that the outlet can be removed or replaced.

Old 01-31-12, 08:49 AM
Thanks for your comments. I also find it hard to believe that there is not enough slack, but wanted to know what my options were if I verify this to be true.

Old 01-31-12, 08:58 AM
Group Moderator
Not asked but the receptacles should be GFCI protected if they already aren't and they must be on two dedicated 20 amp circuits supplied by #12 wire.