Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

want to make a 110 circuit out of exhisting 220, is it possible?

Old 01-31-12, 11:06 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Long story short, old house built in 1890's. Unit is an apartment with one master 100amp breaker, 1 15amp 110 breaker that powers all lights and 3/4 of unit outlets, 1 20amp 110 breaker that powers refrigerator and 1/2 of kitchen, and 2 20amp single pole/dual section 220 breakers that power 3 separate electric space heaters (1 has it's own circuit, and 2 share 1 circuit). everything else (range, fireplace, central heat, and water is gas only)...

First the bad - all the internal outlets are open ground 2 prong (some were updated to 3 prong but still read as open ground) I've invested in solid tech to protect my equipment on these circuits and contrary to popular belief I've test them multiple times and they work just fine for surge and power back up.

Now the question - both separate 220 lines are newer, run up to the unit (top floor) in conduit that I assume is up to spec and come through the wall as 3 12 gauge 20amp wires - bare, white w/ grey stripe and black. what I found out is that the white is not a neutral, so what I think it is - 2 hots and a neutral with no ground (since there isn't a ground anywhere else this does not surprise me). I don't want the heaters, but I do want the power to create another 20amp 110 circuit so I can power all my equipment on more then just a single 15amp circuit.

Is this possible? I know the input is only three wires, so I feel I'd have to give up the ground, put in 110 breakers and rededicate one of the hot lines to a neutral. Before anyone freaks out I would get some help with this as I am clearly after my experiment out of my depth a bit.

Thanks in advance : )

Old 01-31-12, 11:15 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Unit is an apartment...
These are magic words that usually mean that DIY is not allowable. Do you OWN this building? Do you have any tenants in this building? If you don't own it or even if you do and have tenants, your local codes probably prohibit anyone but a licensed electrician from doing the work.

Also, the voltages you cite (110 and 220) are much more likely to be 120 and 240. The lower voltages have not been common for at least fifty years unless you live way out in the sticks.
Now the question - both separate 220 lines are newer, run up to the unit (top floor) in conduit that I assume is up to spec and come through the wall as 3 12 gauge 20amp wires...
Conduit, in many cases can act as the equipment grounding conductor. In your specific case I can't say for certain.

Old 01-31-12, 11:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Any circuits installed in the 80's should all be grounded, unless you meant the 1880's.

Old 01-31-12, 03:44 PM
M
house we built in 1890's, so yeah over a 100 years old.

Old 01-31-12, 03:51 PM
M
this would be true normally I am just renting, but the entire community around me is of the DIY variety... not sure how much of this stuff is really up to code. Not sure about the 240 vs 220, it's old electricity so I'm thinking it's actually 220, but these particular breakers are fairly new so they might be 240... all I know is that each breaker has one set of 12 gauge 3 wire running up to the unit in painted conduit. All I'm wondering is if it's possible to have someone disable one of the 220 breakers, install a 110 breaker in it's place and use the existing 3 wire line to the unit.

Old 01-31-12, 05:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Yes, it is possible to convert the 240v circuit to a 120v circuit. This may require replacing a wire in conduit or re-identifying a wire in cable.

Old 01-31-12, 07:48 PM
M
I've been asking around I think what I'm going to do is replace one of the 240's with a 120 20 amp breaker (with help) and use the existing wires to make a single 20amp 120 circuit by repurposing one of the hot wires into a neutral line on the new breaker... Does this sound right? I am a bit over my head here in the execution so I will be getting help to try this out.

Old 01-31-12, 07:56 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
what I'm going to do is replace one of the 240's with a 120 20 amp breaker (with help) and use the existing wires to make a single 20amp 120 circuit by repurposing one of the hot wires into a neutral line on the new breaker... Does this sound right?
If you have a white wire yes but #6 and smaller neutral wires must be "factory" white. Wires other then white can not be re-purposed as neutrals. Also there is the question of if you have a ground. Do you have conduit or cable?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: