White, Black and Red Wiring Question

Old 02-01-12, 11:02 AM
White, Black and Red Wiring Question

Hi there,

I have a question regarding wiring for a dimmer light switch I am trying to install. I have read some similar posts on the subject however am still requiring some clarification.

The dimmer switch contains the normal Black, White and Green wires.

When I removed the current light switch I found that there were two cables entering the receptacle. One from the top which appears to be old, most likely from the time the house was built around 1950 which contained a White, Black and Red wire. The second wire entering from the bottom of the receptacle also appeared to be old and contained a White and Black wire. None of the wires appeared to contain any grounding wires and there is no grounding screw in the receptacle.

The current wiring setup is as follows:

-The Red wire from the top of the box is connected to the Black wire from the bottom of the box. This connection also has a pi gtail which had been attached to the switch.
-The Black wire from the top wire was also connected to the sw itch.
-Both White wires from the top and bottom wires are connected together and not at all to the switch.

I have included a link to a picture to help explain -

Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Any comments or information would be appreciated

Thanks
James

Last edited by pcboss; 02-01-12 at 12:40 PM. Reason: cables, not wires
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-12, 11:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would suggest that the red/black are feeding the power to the dimmer and the single black is the switched hot to the fixture.

Old 02-01-12, 12:11 PM
To pcboss - Thank you for the response. I tried wiring it with the R/Black to the Black wire on the dimmer and the remaining black to the White on the dimmer and it turned on but was very low. It's like it was not getting enough power. The light would not turn on all the way. I am a bit confused by the term "Switched Hot". Also any recommendations on how to properly ground the unit?

Thanks again
James

Old 02-01-12, 12:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
By switched hot I meant the one that turns on and off with the switch or dimmer.

The white does not connect to the dimmer. It is the neutral and needs to stay unswitched.

Grounding the switch may not be possible. Do you have a metallic cable in your house? How old is the house?

Old 02-01-12, 01:26 PM
switch has to have power in and also power out to light.