Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

New homeowner wanting to run power to shed (existing 220v)

Old 02-01-12, 08:25 PM

We closed on our house today and once we get settled I am wanting to run power out to shed. I'm gong to be running Handheld power tools nothing to crazy would like a few plugs and a large florescent light. There is currently a 220v plug outside on the wall next to power meter that the guy said he ran for his RV. As we do not have an RV I was wondering if it would be possible to utilize this to run a panel out in shed. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-12, 08:48 PM
Can you give us a description of the receptacle (include the NEMA number)?

Old 02-01-12, 09:20 PM
We don't pick up keys until sat. I guess I was a little premature in posting just yet. We walked today he just said it was a 220 for RV. But as soon as I make it back out there later this week I will get the info.

Old 02-01-12, 11:21 PM
I don't see any problem with that myself but I would want a licensed electrician to do it just to be on the safe side. Also if your insurance ever finds out you wired your shed up yourself and either the shed or the house catches fire then they could refuse your claim.

Old 02-02-12, 05:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The RV receptacle sounds like it is the 240 volt 50 amp. The other RV receptacle is 30 amp 120 volt.

Old 02-10-12, 11:26 PM
I was way off, you are correct it is a 30A 120V. I'm assuming single pole. Would this be helpful at all in running a sub panel? Its a small shed only 20x20 I would like to run a florescent light, small (pancake type) air compressor and a window ac unit (RV size). Other than that just basic power tools drill, dewalt sander stuff like that. Have a small TV also. Would this be enough power or do I need to just forget it and run a new line all together. Any input would be much appreciated thank you.

Old 02-11-12, 06:40 AM
Group Moderator
Would this be enough power or do I need to just forget it and run a new line all together.
You could use it for a 30 amp 120v subpanel but you would have to run new wire if you ever needed 240v for something like a larger air compressor or welder.

Old 02-11-12, 06:11 PM
Do you think that would be enough power to run say a rv ac unit, lights, small tv (say 15in), and drill at same time?

Old 02-11-12, 06:55 PM
Do you think that would be enough power to run say a rv ac unit, lights, small tv (say 15in), and drill at same time?

No. If you had a 30A 120/240V feed, then you could.

Old 02-11-12, 08:11 PM
Group Moderator
What is the amp draw of the RV AC? That would be the critical factor of the items mentioned.

Old 02-13-12, 10:42 AM
You say RV size window unit. I'm an RVer, and I'm pretty sure there's no such thing. I presume you mean one of the small window units sold at places like Wal-Mart.

If it's really for RV power, the outlet is a TT-30R and is indeed single pole. I can almost guarantee a 30-amp circuit will not be enough for your shed.