laundry room wiring

Old 02-06-12, 02:38 PM
laundry room wiring

i am in ontario canada and i believe my washer needs a dedicated recceptical 20 amp number 12 wire? if this is correct does it also need to be ground fault

now this all being said and if it is correct my next question

i need to use a sewage pump to get rid of the washer and laundry tub water, could i run 12-3 wire to this receptical and make it a 20 amp split? if i used a gfi receptical can i split it? or can i buy a double pole 20 amp GFI breaker?

i would like to keep these two pieces of equipment on the same circuit so if say, the sewage pump failed the washer would also quit.

or do i really need to have this receptical GF?

gosh i hope someone can understand this, after reading my self i am almost confused!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-12, 03:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Mostly the people here are more familiar with the NEC in the US, but check back as someone may know.

BTW, I understood what you wanted to do, I just don't know the CEC.

Old 02-06-12, 04:13 PM
I don't know if a GFCI is required, but GFCI recepticals are cheaper than GFCI breakers.

Old 02-06-12, 04:20 PM
ok (i'm pretty sure it needs to be gf) so can i make a gf receptical a split and use each side for one appliance so if one trip the other willas well? I just figure if the sewage pump tripped i would not end up with water from the washer all over the basement

would doing this still in fact be keeping the washer recepticle a :dedicated circuit:?

Old 02-06-12, 04:35 PM
Group Moderator
so can i make a gf receptical a split and use each side for one appliance so if one trip the other willas well?
The split must come before the GFCIs. You would use one GFCI on each resulting circuit after the split. If you put the GFCI before the split the GFCI will see unequal loads and trip.

Old 02-06-12, 04:44 PM
so what you are saying is i can not bring the three wire into the gfci and share the neutral and pop out the tab between the two "hot sides" (if the gfci has that?) and then plug each appliance in this receptical?
sorry for so many questions

Old 02-06-12, 06:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The GFI cannot be split top/bottom circuits like a regular duplex.

Old 02-06-12, 06:43 PM
Depending on the load, you could plug both the washing machine and the drain pump into a single (duplex) GFCI receptacle fed with a two-conductor (with equipment ground) cable.

If you wanted two separate circuits then you will need to use a two-pole (240 volt) GFCI circuit breaker. This would be connected to a three-wire cable and then you could split the receptacle to two circuits.

Old 02-07-12, 04:23 PM
ok, so now i think i understand i could buy a double pole gfic breaker and use a normal 20 amp receptical and split it and this would serve my purpose of shutting down both appliances if one was to cause a trip?

and would this also count as a "dedicated" source for the washer
I believe in ontario the washer must be on it's own "circuit"

Old 02-07-12, 06:35 PM
You would be fine. The receptacle needs to be 20A, and depending on CEC, may need to be listed tamper-resistant.

Old 02-07-12, 09:50 PM
ok i now have one way to do it..one more question. in the event i cant find a double pole gfci breaker could i use a normal double pole breaker and put 2 gfi recepticals in the same box and share the neutral and ground of a 3 wire number 12?

last question on this subject...i promise

Old 02-07-12, 10:17 PM
Group Moderator
You asked:
could i use a normal double pole breaker and put 2 gfi recepticals in the same box and share the neutral and ground of a 3 wire number 12
And I previously answered:
The split must come before the GFCIs. You would use one GFCI on each resulting circuit after the split. If you put the GFCI before the split the GFCI will see unequal loads and trip.
So connect two pigtails to the cable's neutral and then connect one to to each receptacle's line side and then red to line of one receptacle and black to the other.

Old 02-08-12, 12:41 AM
If you follow Ray's advice (which is good as far as it goes) you will have two independent GFCI-protected circuits. A ground fault condition on one of the circuits will have no effect on the other circuit. As I have interpreted your posts this is NOT what you want.

To have two separate circuits yet still have both circuits trip on ground fault on either circuit you MUST use the 240 volt (two-pole) GFCI circuit breaker. If 240 volt GFCIs are not available for your panel then you will need to install a sub-panel that will house the 240 volt GFCI circuit breaker. Be forewarned, 240 volt GFCI circuit breakers are high cost items.

Old 02-08-12, 07:38 AM
Group Moderator
Furd is correct. I forgot that part of your post. If you can't get a 240 GFCI breaker for your panel or it is too expensive you could also control the washer circuit with a N/O relay whose coil is connected to the load side of the GFCI on the pump circuit. That way if the pump circuit tripped you would loose power to the washer.

Old 02-08-12, 01:38 PM
thank you all very much, now its off to the store to see what i can buy