120v to 240v ????

Old 01-14-01, 03:37 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

How do you turn an 120v outlet into a single 240v outlet?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-01, 04:50 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Turning one thing into another is a job for a magician. Installing a new 240 volt outlet is unrelated to the existing 120 volt outlet. There is nothing in the existing setup that you can take advantage of.

Run a new cable with three conductors and ground of the appropriate size from the panel to the location of the new 240 volt outlet. Install a new 240 volt breaker in the panel of the appropriate size. Install a 240 volt plug appropriate to the power rating and what you plan to plug into it.

As you can see, there are a million details that I don't have enough information to give. To start with, please specify what you plan to plug in here -- it makes a big difference.

Old 01-16-01, 12:18 PM
Visiting Guest
Ahh, but you can use the existing wire--if it is the proper gauge! Change the outlet to a 220 outlet and use the existing black and white wire as your hots and bare as ground--their is no neutral in a 220 circuit. Just make sure the outlet and wire are adequate for the device you which to operate. Example I utilized a 12/2 w/ground wire, a 220 rated outlet, and a 20amp double pole breaker to power my compressor. The unit will run on 110 but I would have to pull new 10 gauge wire and utilize a 30amp single pole breaker. 220 is much more efficient the compressor runs much better especially at start up!

Old 01-16-01, 11:03 PM
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Danger!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You cannot LEGALLY or SAFELY do what the last person just said without one important step.

It may seem silly, but is necessary to save someone's life in the future:... If you were to use the Black and White to run the two phases of 110VAC, then you MUST COLOR the White wire!! Use Black or Red Electrical Tape ON BOTH ENDS of the connection.

Also, some 220VAC connections do require the Neutral. An example would be the new 4-Wire standard for Electric Dryers. (Two 110VAC Phases, Neutral, and Ground)

The existing outlet is probably wired with only NMD12/2 wire---Check the writing on the wire. If so, then it is not suitable for anything 220VAC. You will need 10 guage minimum.

And, a 220VAC outlet takes up twice the space on the wall as a standard 110VAC outlet.

Another thing.... If for a Stove the outlet MUST be within 4" of the floor where it is installed. If for a dryer it MUST be 4ft off the floor (on center in both cases)

Old 01-17-01, 05:12 AM
Visiting Guest
I never thought of the color thing--sorry As for dryers and ranges these are a different beast and yes 12 gauge wire would never work! There are also ranges that require 3 wire with ground--usually 220v appliances that have 110v outlets,lights clocks,etc require the extra wire. The original post did not say what they wanted to power.

Old 01-17-01, 05:24 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
RobG, you said

Another thing.... If for a Stove the outlet MUST be within 4" of the floor where it is installed. If for a dryer it MUST be 4ft off the floor (on center in both cases)

You got me on this one, could you give me the NEC article requiring the range plug to be mounted within 4" of the floor and also where it is required in the NEC that the dryer plug be mounted at 4'?

Thanks

Wg