Sub panel

Old 02-10-12, 08:06 PM
Sub panel

Hey,

Got a friend that is installing a sub panel and a Master electrician told him to run 6/2 with ground . He ran the wire and had it inspected (it passed) . I was talking to him about wiring it up I told him he needed 6/3 with ground . I worked in Hvac and appliances in the past and have been shocked by 6/2 setup because the ground/neutral wire open up and power was feed back through the ground . Using your ground wire as a neutral does not set well with me , and having a 10 ga wire (smaller than the two hot wires) seems like another issue . Neutral wire should also be coated (if I remember right). He called the inspector and found out I was right about it being a code violation on several points. Now that they know it he has to change it . The electrician then called him and told him he has been doing it for years and never had a problem. Was this EVER allowed by code would you suggest changing after it was passed by inspection? I would never do this at my house ...

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-12, 08:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are you saying they ran 6-2 +g for a 120 or a 240 subpanel? If I understand you they only ran two hots and are using the bare grounding conductor as the neutral. What is being used as a ground?

Three wire feeders were allowed to detached structures when certain conditions existed. The neutral was again bonded like a service panel. The NEC does not allow this anymore. New feeders need to be 4 wires.

Old 02-10-12, 08:38 PM
They were using the Bare 10 ga as both ground and neutral..... It was going to be 240/120 sub panel (both available) . You said in some condition in the past the NEC would allow a three wire connection ..... in that old case could the Neutral be a 10 ga on a 50 amp service panel ?

Old 02-10-12, 09:06 PM
Was this EVER allowed by code
6-2/G NM cable has never been allowed as a feeder to a 120/240 volt subpanel as far as I know.

Old 02-10-12, 09:11 PM
He called the inspector and found out I was right about it being a code violation on several points. Now that they know it he has to change it
It's sad, but in some areas, the inspectors don't know what they are looking at and don't have a clue about the NEC. In other areas, inspectors are known for drive-by inspections. Even sadder is that some electricians don't have a clue about the NEC either and that is using the term electrician loosely.

Old 02-11-12, 07:47 AM
Group Moderator
I am wondering about the credentials of this "master" electrician. This panel can only be used for 120 volt circuit. 1 hot, 1 neutral (full size) 1 ground.

Old 02-11-12, 08:32 AM
I am wondering about the credentials of this "master" electrician.
I was wondering about the same thing.