A rotating motor powered base

Old 02-11-12, 01:37 PM
A rotating motor powered base

Hi all, I am seeking some advice on how to build a motorized base to rotate an 200 pound art sculpture very slowly.

I would like to try to keep the base no more than 12 inches in height that is why I was thinking of using a low profile ceiling fan motor.

The base for the sculpture is 3 feet in diameter. I am planning on using 4 casters mounted to each quarter on the bottom of the base to keep it level and help with the movement.

I was thinking about using a ceiling fan motor in the center of the base, and a dimmer switch to control the speed, do you think that ceiling fan motor would have enough torque?

Does anyone know of a different, affordable motor that could be used in this type of application?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated......

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-12, 02:17 PM
Group Moderator
I was thinking about using a ceiling fan motor in the center of the base, and a dimmer switch to control the speed, do you think that ceiling fan motor would have enough torque?
Ceiling fans have almost no torque. They might turn 2 lbs. if you gave it a shove but no way they'd move 200 lbs. Dimmers should never be used to control the speed of a ceiling fan.

What you are going to need is a gear motor. Out side of my experience but someone should be along with an answer. I'd suggest an internal gear inside the platform and a small gear on a motor with a right angle takeoff.

Old 02-12-12, 12:49 PM
You can look at this page...Light Bases and Turntables
They have one that will do 150 lb for about $400, but when you go to 200 lb. the price jumps to about $1500!

Old 02-14-12, 12:12 PM
Thanks Badeyeben, I found a couple of companies that sell them also, but the 200 pound models are way out of my price rage

Old 02-14-12, 12:17 PM
Thanks for your help Ray,
I think i am going to have to go back to the drafting board and rethink my approach.
The gear motor looks like the way to go. I just need to find the correct gears and motor to spin my platform at about 2 or 3 revolutions per minute

Old 02-14-12, 06:00 PM
What you are looking for is a turntable like badeyeben linked to. There are companies around that do displays at convention centers and product shows that may have some older or used turntables they would be willing to sell. Check your yellow pages or Google "advertising" to look for some of those companies.

Old 02-15-12, 06:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you're building the turntable yourself, you probably don't need a motor that will turn 200lbs. Presuming you build the turntable so it supports itself on casters or bearings, the motor only has to produce enough torque to overcome the friction of the casters/bearings. Plus... gear ratios are your friend. Find a motor that turns at 200 rpm, set up your gears for a 100:1 ratio, and you have 2 rpm, and with 1lb of torque can turn 100 lbs!