New Fangled Circuit Tester

Old 02-12-12, 02:15 PM
Group Moderator
New Fangled Circuit Tester

A poster here use what I would call a test light Amazon.com: Circuit Tester: Home Improvement but I'm use to simple neon test lights. He used it and seemed to get a ghost voltage reading. I'm wondering if they use LEDs and have to high an impedance to cancel out ghost voltages.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-12, 03:18 PM
Group Moderator
Looks like a standard neon tester to me.

Old 02-12-12, 04:14 PM
Group Moderator
Well gee I just did a Google Image search and can't even find one that looks like what I used. It was just a round bullet shaped thing, clear on the rounded end where you could see the neon bulb , and two probe wires out the bottom. Oh well, thanks for the answer.

Old 02-15-12, 06:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think they are the exact same, just with a newer looking plastic body. Injection molding has come a long way... though a neon light with a resistor and two probes hasn't changed since the early 1900's.

Old 02-15-12, 06:33 PM
Group Moderator
And my Daddy used two 120v incandescent bulbs in series. Simple, easy and no ghost voltages. Half bright 120v, full bright 240v.

Old 02-15-12, 07:08 PM
And I used to know an old guy who after 2 beers claimed he could lick his thumb and index finger and quickly grasp a hot wire and tell the voltage!

Justin, are you out there? You may not sleep tonight!

Old 02-15-12, 08:02 PM
And I used to know an old guy who after 2 beers claimed he could lick his thumb and index finger and quickly grasp a hot wire and tell the voltage!
I'm guessing you don't have any videos of that?
Justin, are you out there? You may not sleep tonight!
Yeah, We switched our ISP's today and I had a bunch of settings to reconfigure.

Don't worry, I'm surrounded by rednecks and have seen much more terrifying, yet entertaining stuff done with electricity.

Old 02-16-12, 02:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Don't worry, I'm surrounded by rednecks and have seen much more terrifying, yet entertaining stuff done with electricity.
Hey, whatta ya gonna do?? We don't have big malls to take up our time, so we "invent" things.
I worked in the meter lab at our POCO back in the 60's during high school. We rebuilt all the meters in the state of Georgia. You pop the glass cover off, and there is no telling what you would find inside.....mostly bugs. We had to induce voltage through the coils using a HyPot, with very low amperage. I would follow a bug with one lead and let him walk into the other lead.......POW.....vaporized. You gotta laugh at something.