Please help identify this smoke detector or?

Old 02-12-12, 11:57 PM
Please help identify this smoke detector or?

I recently moved into a home and am trying to identify what looks like a smoke or other detector just so I can open and change battery as the beeping sound is driving me nuts!
I can't seem to get it open the usual way.. by flipping up to access the inside, trying to rotate it or looking for buttons or notches on the side to push, and dont want to break it by forcing it open.
There is no name of any kind on this unit and it is mounted on the top of the outside of a hallway closet. There is a thin white wire that is attached to the rear of the unit inside the closet and runs through the floor to the basement. It's hard to trace downstairs and wondering if part of an old alarm system that is disabled --there are a few different boxes that are easy to identify but smaller and are definitely not active. In the photo (the color is actually beige not pink, sorry)
There is something sticking out on the front don't know if power supply or fuse or cover to something but doesnt seem like it's anything I can unscrew to access this unit. Also in the middle there is what looks like a red light (if powered) so seems like a smoke or possibly carbon monoxide detector? There is another smoke detector which is right across from this one, on top of a door which leads downstairs and I changed the battery on that and works fine.
I thought of just cutting the wire or unattaching it from the back but don't think it's a good idea before I got more info. on this. Any ideas/help appreciated..thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-12, 07:06 PM
It's obviously pretty old. Some older smoke detectors from the 1970s had batteries that cost more than a new detector. Did you know that smoke detectors should be changed every 10 years? I think I'd just throw it away and get a new one?

Old 02-14-12, 11:37 AM
Thanks for your response--but I guess what I'm asking is what that actually is, if not a smoke detector-though it looks like one-I want to make sure its nothing else and won't replace battery as I noted there is another right across the hall that works fine.
I am assuming it prob. is a smoke detector that plugs into a power source-though can't seem to find where it goes. I recall maybe 7-8 years ago we lived in a condo & the smoke detector went off for unknown reasons & it took me maybe 20 minutes to discover that there was no battery, instead had to go into attic to unplug it & in the meantime it could be heard probably a block away!
So want to make sure not to repeat that and wondering what would happen if I cut the wire that comes into it from the close? It's a thin white wire and wondering if I should turn off the power--though always have a problem with getting cable boxes all working again..thanks!

Old 02-14-12, 06:38 PM
There is a thin white wire that is attached to the rear of the unit inside the closet and runs through the floor to the basement.
Where in the basement does this thin white wire take you? Is it one wire or a cable assembly of two or more wires? Does it connect to household 120 volt power? It doesn't look like any smoke detector I remember seeing, but back in the late 1960s and early 1970s smoke detectors were rare in residential use and expensive. There has to be a way to get inside of it.

Old 02-14-12, 06:49 PM
This looks similar to the smoke detectors seen in commercial buildings and hotels built in the 1970s.

Old 02-14-12, 07:35 PM
This looks similar to the smoke detectors seen in commercial buildings and hotels built in the 1970s.
I was thinking the same thing. That type of detector and in that type of building would have been connected to a full blown fire alarm system and wouldn't have been stand alone detectors.

Old 02-22-12, 08:50 PM
Thanks for all your replies--I finally got this smoke alarm identified and silenced courtesy of the nearby DIY electronic-alarms-home-security forum, and inserting a link to that post in case you're interested..

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-me-crazy.html