Dryer Receptacle Installation

Old 02-15-12, 12:34 PM
Dryer Receptacle Installation

Description::

I'm putting in a sub panel and bringing the dryer circuit into the sub-Panel, the Dryer receptacle has 3 terminating screws on it, 2 wires are the hots and 1 is the ground,
2-#10's w/ground cable!
In the old panel, the cable goes to an 30 amp breaker, 2 hots to breaker and the ground goes to the Ground/Neutral bar.
On the Sub-Panel, the Grounds and Neutral are separated because of the bond at the main panel.

Question::

Do I put the Ground wire that feeds the Dryer Receptacle on the ground bar or the Neutral Bar?

(A) - If I put the Ground wire on the Neutral Bar then I won't have a ground for the circuit.
(B) - If I put the Ground wire on the Separated Ground Bar then the circuit won't split to 120 volt sides correct?
(C) - Buy a new cable, receptacle and cord for my dryer which more than $100.00 cause the dryer is more than 50 ft away!
(D) - None of the above ?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-12, 12:51 PM
Group Moderator
By modern code you need to convert the dryer to 4-wire, change the cord to a 4-wire dryer cord, run 10-3 with ground, and change to a 4-wire receptacle.

(C) - Buy a new cable, receptacle and cord for my dryer which more than $100.00 cause the dryer is more than 50 ft away!
You need to run 10-3 NM-b to the new location.

The manual for your dry should tell you how to convert to four wires but in general you remove the grounding strap or wire from the center neutral terminal of the dryer. The neutral of your new dryer cord goes to the center terminal, hots to X and Y and ground to the screw on the case where the bonding strap is fastened.

Old 02-15-12, 02:43 PM
That's what I thought, but wanted to make sure!!
Thank your for your information, you were very helpful!