kitchen wiring mystery

Old 02-18-12, 10:36 AM
kitchen wiring mystery

I have installed a new dishwasher that has a plug-in cord. My old one was hard wired. The hard wiring comes out of an outlet that the garbage disposal is plugged into. The new dishwasher will not work in this outlet, but the disposal will. What could the problem be???

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-12, 12:38 PM
Group Moderator
The outlet is likely all switched. Turn off the power to the outlet, open it up and take it out and see how many wires you have there. Since the old feed for the DW came from there it is likely all that is needed is a little rewiring. A picture might be helpful too.

Old 02-18-12, 01:10 PM
Shouldn't the DW work in the outlet if the disposal does? That is what is confusing to me. The outlet is a square with two receptacles (right word?) on top of each other to plug things into. Then next to them, part of the same box is a switch that controls the hardwiring.

Old 02-18-12, 01:32 PM
Group Moderator
Have you tried it with it plugged into both places on the duplex receptacle? Have you tried it with the G/D switch on?

part of the same box is a switch that controls the hardwiring.
That doesn't make sense. Can you further explain. It sounds like you are saying the switch is at the back of the cabinet under the sink.

Will the dishwasher run plugged into an extension cord to another receptacle?

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...-pictures.html

Old 02-18-12, 03:47 PM
Group Moderator
At one time people installed a switch that controlled the dishwasher to act as a disconnect. That was before the "off" setting was on a dishwasher. Cords have since replaced the switch as a disconnect.

Old 02-18-12, 03:47 PM
I can't quite make out what he is saying either?

It sounds like the garbage disposal is plugged into an outlet under the sink and controlled by a switch. However, it also sounds like someone then ran a piece of wire out of the recepticle box somehow and used it to power the old dishwasher?

Irrespective, the GD recepticle should be on a switch and thus the new dishwasher won't work as long as it is turned off. It may be easier just to use the old dishwasher wiring, as long as safe setup, and install a recepticle for it. Then plug the new dishwasher into it.

Good luck

Old 02-18-12, 08:12 PM
It sounds like the garbage disposal is plugged into an outlet under the sink and controlled by a switch. However, it also sounds like someone then ran a piece of wire out of the recepticle box somehow and used it to power the old dishwasher?
Makes perfect sense to me, there is a switch loop going to a switch above the counter to control the GD. The hot wire and neutral in the box was used to power the dishwasher through the disconnect switch on one side of the 1900 box. Actually, that sounds like a good way to do it.

Old 02-18-12, 09:02 PM
Group Moderator
there is a switch loop going to a switch above the counter to control the GD.
But he said the switch and receptacle were in the same box. Is there another receptacle under the sink? He doesn't say so. Yes, sometimes the switch for a G/D is just inside the cabinet door but usually the receptacle is at the back.

Old 02-19-12, 07:06 AM
But he said the switch and receptacle were in the same box. Is there another receptacle under the sink? He doesn't say so. Yes, sometimes the switch for a G/D is just inside the cabinet door but usually the receptacle is at the back.
But, he also said the box has a duplex receptacle and a switch and that the switch controls the dishwasher. He said it slightly different, but that was my take. There obviously has to be a separate switch that controls the duplex receptacle the GD is plugged into.

The outlet is a square with two receptacles (right word?) on top of each other to plug things into. Then next to them, part of the same box is a switch that controls the hardwiring.
The old dishwasher was hardwired from this box so it must come from the load side of a single pole switch. The GD was plugged in so the receptacle must be switched from somewhere else, I assumed from above the counter.

The new dishwasher will not work in this outlet, but the disposal will. What could the problem be???
I am suggesting that the dishwasher will not operate from the receptacle because the GD switch controls the whole duplex receptacle.

Old 02-22-12, 12:07 PM
mystery solved

The receptacle is under the sink and the switch for the GD is above the counter, however the square receptacle box under the sink has the 2 plug-ins and a switch that controls the hardwiring for the old dishwasher. What CasualJoe said must be correct. But now I am wondering what to do, I also know that the sizes of the GD and DW plugs are too big for both to fit into the 2 plug-ins at the same time. So I guess I need to unplug GD and plug in the DW when I need to run it. Any other ideas?

Old 02-22-12, 12:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you remove the switch you should be able to change it to a receptacle for the DW. The wiring will need a slight change, but should be easy to reconfigure.

Old 02-22-12, 04:29 PM
thanks so much, I'll take a look and think I'll be able to do it

Old 02-22-12, 04:33 PM
So I guess I need to unplug GD and plug in the DW when I need to run it. Any other ideas?
IF you did this, you'd probably also have to be sure the switch above the counter is turned on to run your dishwasher, but this seems like a big inconvenience. pcboss has a good idea, replace the switch with a single receptacle (unswitched) for the dishwasher.