Meter "Surge" Protector????

Old 02-18-12, 11:47 AM
Meter "Surge" Protector????

Hello All,

Does anyone have any experience with the Meter type surge protection devices, such as Leviton or Meter Treater?

I want to install a whole house surge protector but cannot install the "breaker" surge types or the external types that hook up to a 15 or20 amp breaker. I do not have any available spaces in my lug only load center, so I would either have to replace it or attach a subpanel to it.

The meter type surge protector would be a much easier install but I have a few concerns/questions.

1) Is there any concern for a homeowner of being sued by the Power Company if the unit ever caused damage to their meter or otherwise? I came across such a case in which a POCO sued Meter-Treater. That was fifteen years ago and the contention was the particular model was defective...

2) I'd have to have the power turned off when replacing the meter surge device, whereas that wouldn't be the case when replacing load center types.

3) Any concerns with purchasing one from an individual? A homeowner purchased one from an electrician friend but has never installed it, so he has just decided to sell it.

4) Do the Leviton Meter devices require the ring or can the meter attach ringless?

Thanks, Ralph

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-12, 09:05 PM
The only opinion that counts is that of your power company. What brand loadcenter do you have?

Designed for 120/240 volt single-phase ringless or ring-type meters
Commercial Electrical 120/240 Volt 200 Amp, Secondary Surge Arrestor, Surge Protective Device 4 Jaw Socket Meter Socket, 50240-MSA : Panels

The Leviton style works both ways, but that is another power company call.

Last edited by CasualJoe; 02-18-12 at 09:35 PM.