Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

How Do I add a second doorbell chime from the transformer?

Old 02-18-12, 08:43 PM

OK,

I've tried to research this but am not comming up with a solution to my situation.

I have a front doorbell with a chime(ding dong nothing special) I want to add a chime in my basement which is finished. I can get to the transformer but if I connect directly to it the second chime wants to stay on (hums and the plunger that makes the ding dong stays out) I cannot run the wires from the 1st chime since everything is finished off. I realize I need a transformer the correct size but regardless Im not hooking this up correctly. Is there a way to do this short of a wireless unit?

Thanks for any help/suggestions

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-12, 04:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! It is possible the door bell you purchased for the basement will require a 17 volt transformer. Check the transformer's output that you have in place, as well as the requirement of the new door bell. How are you connecting this chime? Are you connecting it according to the original bell's set up? Do you have a separate button for it? Yeah, wireless units require too much maintenance, I agree. Let us know and we'll go from there.

Old 02-19-12, 07:38 AM
If you were lucky, and your house was wired by somebody who thinks about stuff like this and could afford to build it into their cost, the chime and switch wiring would all be home-runned back to the transformer. Unfortunately, that's not typical.

How many individual conductors are there between the transformer and the chime? If there's a spare conductor or two, as there occasionally is, we may be able to help. If there are only two conductors, the solutions are not simple.

Otherwise, can you reasonably consider moving the existing transformer to the location of the existing chime?

Clear photos of the cables & conductors at the existing chime and the transformer will be helpful.

Old 02-19-12, 08:39 AM
Group Moderator
If the options of the others are not available then i suggest a wireless door chine extender like this: Wireless Plug-In Remote Door Chime Extender Kit-WD-5050A at The Home Depot It will sound when the original chime sounds

Old 02-19-12, 03:48 PM
I hooked the red wire to the transformer connection on the chime and the white wire to the front door connection on the chime. There is only one door bell so the rear terminal is empty. Then as a trial I just held the ends of the wires to the transformer. I tried swithcing the red and white to opposite sides of the transformer but got the same result both ways, which was that the chime activated (dinged) but did not release to dond if you will. It stayed powered until I released one wire. I did some additional research and im thinking i need one lead to be connected to the original chime, which unfortunatelty I cant get to. I will try to post a couple of pictures.

Old 02-19-12, 04:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
By holding the leads to the transformer it is acting normally. You DO need to attach one lead to either the button or to the original doorbell wiring. The transformer is just providing power, while the button and it's intermittent action is providing the contact and release. As for it not going "dong", you may be touching the incorrect screw. The rear doorbell screw will only "ding", while the front will have both sounds.

Old 02-20-12, 05:51 AM
To operate simultaneously the two terminals on the second chime must be connected to the same two places respectively as the two terminals on the first chime. Almost always one of the two places is the transformer (must use the same transformer terminal for the second chime).

(The other place is the door button.)

This does not guarantee proper performance. The transformer might not have enough power to ring both chimes simultaneously.

When adding the second chime, sometimes fatter (or (duplicate parallel redundant) wires throughout will make both chimes work when they did not work before. You can see the voltage drop by measuring between the two ends of a run of wire and pressing the door button. The extra length of wire needed to extend the meter probe to the other end of a wire being tested does not act as a duplicate parallel redundant wire so as to cure the voltage drop i.e. make it unmeasurable.