Power Supply output current question

Old 02-18-12, 09:28 PM
Power Supply output current question

Hey I have a noob probably question. If I have lets say a 24VDC/10A power supply (220VAC input, and +24VDC output). If nothing is connected to the output side the current reading if measured will read zero correct ? Now lets say I connect a something to the output like a PLC. Then if I measure the reading it should read some sort of current, because the PLC is drawing current. I should probably fuse the PLC just in case the power supply outputs more current then the limited current rating on the PLC ... correct ?

Thanks !!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-12, 04:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! A fuse is to protect the circuit from an overload from the device, not the other way around. Just curious as to why you have such a large transformer. Couldn't you use a commercially available power supply for the plc? Your output would blow the plc, anyway, since it is probably only rated at half an amp or less. Is this a project? Did you get the power supply free? Does the plc require 24vdc? You should match your output voltage and amperage to the requirement of the device on the end.