Voltage loss

Old 02-19-12, 09:30 AM
Voltage loss

My Microwave, a wall mounted unit, stopped working.

I verified it worked in another outlet so i took some voltages at the plug and after i pulled the socket at the wires.

Black to Grnd - 123V
White to Grnd - 12V
Black to White - 79.5V

I replaced the socket with a new heavy duty version - no change.

The breaker didn't trip open. I reset it several times with no change in condition. The microwave is serviced by a dedicated 20A breaker.

Most of my electrical experience is with Navy 3 phase A/C. I feel like i lost a phase but i don't think home wiring is the same.

No other outlet is behaving like this - all others are B-Grnd 123V; White-Grnd 1V; B-W 123V.

Any ideas? I am thinking of swapping/replaceing the breaker to see if that helps.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-12, 09:53 AM
I think you either have a loose connection or an open neutral.

Old 02-19-12, 09:54 AM
Maybe a loose netural in braker box.

Old 02-19-12, 09:57 AM
Group Moderator
Black to White - 79.5V That is a classic sign of a poor neutral connection. Since you replaced the receptacle it is unlikely a connection at the receptacle. Assuming a cable direct to the breaker box then next check the neutral connection at the breaker box.

Old 02-19-12, 10:01 AM
Group Moderator
The white to ground volts mean nothing. It is likely phantom voltage so ignore that.
Swapping out the breaker will also do nothing.

I think you might be on to something about losing a phase. While single phase in a home is not the same as three phase is it quite similar. They just take a single 240v transformer and center tap the coil for the neutral for your 120 volts between legs.

Is this circuit dedicated to the microwave? You might have an open neutral on a multiwire circuit. Do you know if this is a multiwire circuit?

Old 03-01-12, 06:44 AM
Breaker good

Thanks for the patience i am in the military and had to leave for a few days.

I verified the breaker continuity is good (it opens to infinite and closes to .04 ohms).

I verified the power to the breaker was 124V. I traced out the white and ground wires - both are tight to the main terminal nothing seems wrong out in the main panel.

I still have the original voltages at the socket.

Old 03-01-12, 07:48 AM
Group Moderator
Are you sure there aren't any Jboxes or other fixtures between the breaker and microwave oven?

Old 03-01-12, 08:53 AM
J-boxes

There are none i can find.

Old 03-01-12, 09:34 AM
Group Moderator
Maybe others have a better idea but in a case like this if it was relatively easy to run a new cable that is what I would do.

I verified the breaker continuity is good (it opens to infinite and closes to .04 ohms)
To test the breaker you measure the voltage at the breaker. Is that what you meant by:
I verified the power to the breaker was 124V
I know I sound like a little old gray haired English teacher but you said "to" not "from".

Old 03-01-12, 12:21 PM
The white to ground volts mean nothing. It is likely phantom voltage so ignore that.
Swapping out the breaker will also do nothing.
Do you mean in this case?

Old 03-01-12, 12:41 PM
I believe ray is on to something. I believe you have a junction somewhere between the load, and the service panel. With the proper skill and knowledge, you could find a splice point, buried electrical box or cable, or damage conductor.

Good luck, as troubleshooting a problem online is limited.

Old 03-01-12, 03:34 PM
I was measuring from the input to the house to the breaker.

Old 03-01-12, 04:50 PM
Group Moderator
What "input to the house", the neutral bar?

Old 03-01-12, 05:12 PM
Lost me on the input comment as well. When I here input, I somewhat think motor loads

Old 03-01-12, 06:07 PM
The white neutral conductor and the bare ground conductor both originate from the same neutral bar.

Black to Grnd - 123V
Black to White - 79.5V
Most of my electrical experience is with Navy 3 phase A/C. I feel like i lost a phase but i don't think home wiring is the same.
Regardless of where you got your experience, if you have electrical experience at all I think you'll agree that black to white and black to ground should be almost identical.

I am thinking of swapping/replaceing the breaker to see if that helps.
Replacing the breaker won't help because you already verified the breaker is providing the proper voltage at the outlet through the black conductor. Be it 1 phase or 3 phase makes no difference. You have a bad neutral connection either at the neutral bar or in a splice you haven't yet found.