Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Average Labor Cost in MA to Finish Wiring Room in Basement?

Old 02-19-12, 12:53 PM

So I am building a 15'x15' work out room in my unfinished basement. Framing is done and I've started work on the electrical only to find out I can't do my own electrical work in my town. I have to pull a separate permit for electrical and the work has to be done by a licensed electrician.

Okay....but I've already done the rough electrical work. The room is 10ft from the panel and I've run two circuits. One circuit for the recessed lighting and one circuit for the electrical outlets. The wire has been already been laid from the breaker box to the electrical outlets, switches, and recessed lighting cans.

So basically I need an electrician to come in and look at the work, fill out the permit, and once the permit is submitted do the finish work and hook it up to the breaker box.

What am I looking at for six outlets, five recessed lighting boxes, and two light switches?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-12, 02:39 PM
You are asking for a wild guess on price that few are willing to guess at on here. I think your best bet would be to start contacting some small residential contractors about working on a T&M basis to take out the proper permit, fix the rough-in to pass the rough inspection, do the finish work and get a electrical final at completion. There probably are a few smaller contractors who need work bad enough to do this for you.

Old 02-19-12, 03:37 PM
Group Moderator
What am I looking at for six outlets, five recessed lighting boxes, and two light switches?
What about smoke detectors? One is required per level. Might want to add one in case this becomes a bedroom.

Old 02-20-12, 07:17 AM
You are asking for a wild guess on price that few are willing to guess at on here. I think your best bet would be to start contacting some small residential contractors about working on a T&M basis to take out the proper permit, fix the rough-in to pass the rough inspection, do the finish work and get a electrical final at completion. There probably are a few smaller contractors who need work bad enough to do this for you.
You are absolutely correct. I'm not necessarily looking for a formal quote, like $347.80 with a 28 month warranty....I'm more or less looking for a ballpark figure.

Something like....It will probably take 3 hours of labor for the electrician to inspect the rough electrical and complete the final hook ups. The labor rate in MA is something like $75-100 per hour. I'm hoping someone in the trade in my area can chime in.

What about smoke detectors? One is required per level. Might want to add one in case this becomes a bedroom.
Another good point. This room is being permitted as "storage space" and will never be living space. The basement is a dingy 115 year old fieldstone foundation with a poured concrete floor. This room is going to be the "clean room" that will be sealed off from the rest of the dungeon. There already is a smoke and CO detector in the basement for the boiler....but a hardwired one in this room is not a bad idea and is cheap insurance.

Old 02-20-12, 07:14 PM
Group Moderator
I think you have pretty much answered your own question. I would think your looking at about $300 plus permit.

Old 02-20-12, 07:58 PM
I would think your looking at about $300 plus permit.
Figuring at least 2 (maybe 3) trips and the time necessary to obtain the permit, I would have guessed about twice that amount, plus the permit and any additional material. Of course, this is just a guess based upon all existing installed work to be satisfactorily installed to pass the inspection. Any rework would be more.

Old 02-20-12, 08:06 PM
Group Moderator
So you looking at $300 - $600 plus permit. A a lot of things will depend on so it is best to make a few phone calls for your local.