breaker did not trip ??

Old 02-20-12, 07:40 AM
breaker did not trip ??

Circuits in my house (upstate NY) were incorrectly labeled at the panel. As a result, I touched the hot wire to a switch to its metal box. Sparks flew and the screw welded itself to the box. I expected that a breaker would have tripped. However, no breakers tripped. Also, when I put the multimeter on the white and black wires now there is no voltage reading in the wires.

Did I cause a larger problem?

Thanks-
-JT

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-12, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator
Are you positive it didn't trip? Sometimes it can be hard to tell w/o actually resetting each breaker handle. Does this circuit include a GFCI or AFCI? They would trip much faster than a breaker.

If it really didn't trip..then something (wire, connection, something) burned through and opened up.

Old 02-20-12, 08:41 AM
I reset all breakers

I reset all breakers and still no voltage reading.

If it did burn through and open up, is there a way to test for continuity without pulling the wire out?

JT

Old 02-20-12, 09:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Start by looking for a GFCI that has popped. May be in another room or almost anywhere in your house. Reset it and see if you have power.

Old 02-20-12, 09:38 AM
nothing tripped

No GFCI's tripped either. ?? Puzzling.

Old 02-20-12, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator
Well, check the output of the breaker in the panel. If thats good (and be sure it's the right circuit)...then you can disconnect the wires (hot, neutral and ground) in the panel and short them together one at a time (blk to white, blk to ground, white to ground) to see what may have opened by doing a continuity check with your meter.

Either that or open every outlet, switch or junction box on the line and look for problems.

I have to ask...what kind of circuit is this? Bathroom? Kitchen? Garage? How old is the house? Is it all in conduit or does it use Romex?

Old 02-20-12, 05:29 PM
Group Moderator
The short circuit my have opened up an "iffy" splice. Best to check all the breakers with a meter from neutral or ground to each screw of the breakers to make sure you are getting 120 volts on each. If you do, then you will have to search for the bad splice.