Bath Electrical in a Basement Finish

Old 02-22-12, 08:43 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bath Electrical in a Basement Finish

US - Ohio - Wayne County

Just about done with the framing stage of the basement project and thinking about the electrical, two questions have arisen.

1) For outlets that will not serve any large or continuous load, but rather will be placed around the room for code compliance, how many should be placed on a 20 amp circuit? Is there a hard and fast rule or is it a matter of opinion? This circuit will be outlets only, no lights.

2) This one may be more complex. 1/2 Bath in the basment. I understand the code outlines that you must have a dedicated circuit for each bath (lights and outlets) or a dedicated circuit for all bath receptacles. I have the latter currently in my home (built in 2008). 3 Full baths upstairs all on one 20 amp circuit, each outlet a GFI. My question is this: I would like to add an outlet for this 1/2 bath (that will most likely never be used) to this circuit rather than having to use an additional dedicated circuit. I cannot access the end of the existing circuit and drop it down to continue it without significant interior finish disruption upstairs. So is it feasible to splice this 12/2 in a junction box after it leaves the panel and heads upstairs and take an additional run over to my new 1/2 bath? End game being compliance with the code without wasting a entire additional circuit...

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited by pcboss; 02-22-12 at 09:50 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 02-22-12, 09:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
For residential circuits under the NEC there is no limit to the number of receptacles on the circuit.

You could just splice the hot in the panel, no need for a junction box.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: