Ground wire question for swimming pool circuit.

Old 02-23-12, 03:08 AM
Ground wire question for swimming pool circuit.

I understand that a circuit for a swimming pool must have a green insulated ground wire. Question is, if that circuit is in a subpanel, does the ground wire between the subpanel and the main panel have to be insulated and green as well? Thanks. John.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-12, 03:00 PM
Group Moderator
Is that ground wire inside a building?

Old 02-23-12, 07:15 PM
The subpanel is in the garage. The circuit would run from the subpanel, underground through conduit, than come up out of the ground to a small outdoor panel in the pool area.

Old 02-23-12, 08:15 PM
What is the purpose of the sub-panel in the garage?

Old 02-23-12, 08:23 PM
Why does that even matter?

Old 02-24-12, 05:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
IIRC the ground does need to be insulated.

Old 02-24-12, 07:32 AM
Why does that even matter?
Why ask, just answer my question so we can help you. Not asking questions just for fun!! Also, based on your answer, can we safely say the equipment grounding conductor was installed uninsulated from the main to the garage sub-panel? I reiterate, how is the sub-panel panel being used. Was it originally installed to serve a pool?

Old 02-24-12, 08:51 AM
Group Moderator
Members here need information to help you. Please be polite. While the reason may not be apparent to you they do have valid reasons.

Example: If the primary purpose of the subpanel is the pool and the garage is detached then the ground to the subpanel that runs between the house and garage must be insulated. An inspector looking at a garage that had only a couple of lights and a usually unused receptacle could conclude the primary purpose of the subpanel is for the pool and the garage is secondary.

Old 02-24-12, 03:16 PM
Group Moderator
underground through conduit, than come up out of the ground to a small outdoor panel in the pool area
The ground wire is required to be insulated when it is installed outside of a building, in the ground or conduit outside, pool or not. You need an insulated ground.

Old 02-24-12, 03:36 PM
@Tolyn,
I believe we are addressing the run from the main to the remote structure. Not the new run planned from the remote structure (garage) to the sub near the pool area. The run from the garage to the pool area is obviously going to need an insulated EGC.

Old 02-24-12, 05:40 PM
The subpanel in the garage, will be used to feed that garage, three other out buildings, a yard light and the pool. There is the main feed from the main panel to the garage, than from that subpanel to all of the other panels in the other buildings. The circuit that will run to the pool, will end at an outdoor panel near the pool. This is all new work. All of the conduit is in the ground. The next step is to pull the conductors through. I guess a better way to phrase the question, is: Of all the insulated ground wires that I will pull, which ones need to be green?

Old 02-24-12, 05:50 PM
Group Moderator
If you are using conduit it is almost a moot point. Just use all insulated ground wire. Each conduit run will need one. Usually the issue of bare ground is only a concern when using cable.

Old 02-24-12, 06:22 PM
Ok. I just thought that the insulated ground wire for the pool circuit needed to be green in color. Thanks Ray.

Old 02-24-12, 06:45 PM
Group Moderator
Ok. I just thought that the insulated ground wire for the pool circuit needed to be green in color.
It does. Grounds must always be green, or green/yellow, or bare. Larger then #6 you can re-designate with green tape or paint but smaller wire must be factory marked.

Old 02-24-12, 07:06 PM
Ok Ray I understand it now. Basicly, becuase a typical pool circuit will probably be #12, and can't have a bare ground, by code it must be green. Thats where the confusion came from. Thanks Ray.

Old 02-25-12, 07:15 AM
Not going to add my thoughts, as it would confuse everyone.

Old 02-25-12, 06:07 PM
What are your thoughts?..

Old 02-27-12, 08:28 PM
Nilzlofgren
Ok. I just thought that the insulated ground wire for the pool circuit needed to be green in color. Thanks Ray.
Not to confuse things, but if the feeder between the house and the detached structure was existing, and there was no metal parts between the same two structures, and the purpose wasn’t to serve a pool initially--then the equipment grounding conductor does not have to be insulated, and you could add a sub off the existing sub to serve a pool—where the new feed shall meet the insulated EGC requirement. Also note that you can’t simply add loads—without first knowing your demand.

Old 02-28-12, 08:53 AM
These outbuildings are currently fed by overhead triplex. At this phase of the
Project, there is 2" PVC conduit running between the main panel in the house to
The subpanel in the garage. Next step is to start pulling conductors.