Load Center Not Labeled, inspection concern?

Old 02-25-12, 09:22 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Load Center Not Labeled, inspection concern?

Hello All,

I'm about to add a subpanel to my Lug Only Load Center(entrance) and have a question in regards to panel labels.

The load center no longer has the manufacturer identification label or anything to identify it, etc. I'm positive it is a Siemens though because of the breakers and the fact only Siemens panels were used at our residence.

The original 1999 County "passed inspection" sticker is still present however. That is the year it was built and that sticker denotes the former owner/builder along with address.

1) Is there any concern I may fail a new inspection with the missing manufacturer label and no other panel identification markings?

2) Siemens would only say it was a UL rated panel. The rep however went on to say I would void the UL rating by drilling a hole where no knockout exists. I need to drill a 3/4in hole in the side in order to add a surge protector. Any thoughts on what the Siemens rep stated?

Thanks, Ralph

Old 02-26-12, 05:09 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
1) Is there any concern I may fail a new inspection with the missing manufacturer label and no other panel identification markings?
I doubt you need to worry about that, I have never heard of an existing panel failing an inspection because of manufacturer identification missing.

2) Siemens would only say it was a UL rated panel. The rep however went on to say I would void the UL rating by drilling a hole where no knockout exists. I need to drill a 3/4in hole in the side in order to add a surge protector. Any thoughts on what the Siemens rep stated?
Again, I have never heard about a U.L. Listing being violated for punching a knockout where none exist, but I have never asked the question either. I can tell you that it is done all the time in commercial work where loadcenters with factory knockouts are being used and I haven't heard of an issue. That being said, there should be both 1/2" and 3/4" KOs on the sides of the panel box as well as on the top and bottom. Can't you use one of those? Commercial and industrial panelboards typically are priced and shipped in separate pieces including the panel box, interior, auxilliary ground bars/accessories and cover and door trim. The panelboard boxes or cans come without knockouts.

Old 02-26-12, 10:59 AM
R
Thanks Casual Joe for the response.

My outdoor entrance Load Center only has one large (1 1/2 - 2 1/2) knockout/s at the side at bottom. That's fairly typical for a outdoor load center from what I've seen. The are no knockouts on the top, only the threaded 2 1/2 weatherhead nor anywhere else on the sides.

I would like to punch a hole about mid point on the side, in order to avoid a long wire run with my surge device. I did come across something last night that did state you are only supposed to punch holes in designated areas as listed by manufacturer. I have no way of researching what is acceptable on my "unmarked" panel though.

Ralph

Old 02-26-12, 11:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The are no knockouts on the top
That lends itself to providing weatherproof-ness of the box.

Old 02-26-12, 11:06 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
I didn't realize this was a NEMA3R panel, but I still really don't think you'll ever have an inspection problem if you do it right. The reason they don't encourage side entry is because of the possibility of water entering the panel. Use a 3/4" myers hub on the top or side and you won't have any problems with leakage.

Old 02-26-12, 11:11 AM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Is the surge protector weatherproof?

Old 02-26-12, 01:59 PM
R
If I add a subpanel, the SPD will be an external mounted nema3 weatherproof with weatherproofing gaskets. I've thought about possibly coming in from the top with a 3/4 hub if allowable? Most of these type SPD's have a 1/2in male thread though so I'm not sure if I can find one with 3/4in male threads or use some acceptable adapter/reducer?

My concern was whether I would get hassled with the existing entrance load center having no identification stickers? If so, I would opt to replace the existing "lug only" load center with a "main breaker" one. With that, I would just install a breaker style SPD in the panel itself.

Ralph

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: