How to test pendant light?

Old 02-27-12, 01:46 PM
How to test pendant light?

One of the pendant lights above my island seems to be a bit flaky, thought it was just the bulb but now believe its a loose connection.

It takes a type GY6.35 12v 50w halogen bulb.

I have a multimeter, but the probes obviously won't fit into the two holes the bulb fits into, how should I use it to test this light? Turn power off at breaker and then insert wire into each hole and use the small alligator clips?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-12, 04:18 PM
Yep, it will work, but if the extension probe "test" wires are not very close to the O.D. of the bulbs pins, you may be reading a fluctuating voltage from loose test wire pins or bad socket wiring, no way or knowing which. jmo

Old 02-27-12, 05:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can also check the connections at the transformer (likely in the ceiling dome). The 12v side is assembled at the factory and could be less than a perfect connection. By disconnecting (and afterward reconnecting with wire nuts), you can also test the transformer directly.

Old 02-27-12, 05:19 PM
Ah, good point. How about if I pull the two pins out of a bulb I have that has burnt out? Might be enough to clip onto...

I`ll also check the transformer as suggested and post back tomorrow. Thanks guys!

Old 02-27-12, 06:11 PM
Group Moderator
How about if I pull the two pins out of a bulb I have that has burnt out?
And solder a couple of wires to them. You really also need to test voltage under load also.

Old 03-17-12, 05:34 PM
I tested the voltage going into the transformer and it was fine, tested with pins at the other end and got a reading of 0. I've disconnected the transformer and pendant light from the power source, so how do I test the transformer itself?

Old 03-17-12, 06:15 PM
Group Moderator
You test the voltage on the secondary under load. Easiest is to wire to a track. Test voltage at the transformer secondary with no load. Then add a pendant and check again.

Old 03-17-12, 10:18 PM
Don't have any track lighting, can I just wire it to an extension cord and test it that way? I'm assuming that I'm testing the 12V side of the transformer?

Old 03-17-12, 11:29 PM
Group Moderator
Sorry confused you with another poster when I suggested the track. Yes connect a plug and cord to the primary and measure the secondary side.