Test an LED Flashight???

Old 02-27-12, 06:20 PM
Test an LED Flashight???

Not an earthshaking thread, but I have a pretty new miniature flashlight that was fairly expensive. I can verify that the 3-AAA battery pack is producing 4.8 volts and the switch works. Is there any test or replacement of the 21 eye LED head??

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-12, 07:07 PM
Group Moderator
The LED head is probably proprietary. Cost if you could find a replacement would probably exceed the cost of the flashlight.

Old 02-27-12, 07:40 PM
Group Moderator
I have had more trouble with LED flashlights! Seams like ANY little connection issue will cause failure. Try to cleaning all mating parts and see if it will come back to life.

Old 02-28-12, 04:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
My SIL gave me a neat LED flashlight that I thought I would never use, but find it too handy NOT to use. Size of a pencil. Uses 3 AAAA, that's 4A batteries. Clip in on my shirt just like a pen, so it is always handy. Throws an extremely good light. I dread the day the LED goes south. Like the others have said clean it up and check the wiring.....if you can see it.

Old 02-28-12, 05:53 AM
Group Moderator
Flashlights with numerous LED's are a nearly extinct dinosaur. I would not spend any money or loose any sleep over it. All of my newer single LED lights are far brighter, last longer and have proven more durable than my old multi LED ones.

My favorite brand right now is Olight and they have some very good key chain sized lights for less than $30 that run on one AAA, AA with truly impressive light output. They are not cheap but are less expensive than Surefire. If you don't have a current need for a new light I would try to wait 6 months if possible. Early in the month Cree announced the next generation of LED's that sounds like a significant improvement over existing ones.