wiring question with GFI

Old 02-27-12, 07:26 PM
wiring question with GFI

I am renovating a bathroom and including a GFI outlet. The previous outlet in the bathroom was one of those oldschool two prong outlets at the base of the light fixture. The circuit powers the bathroom light, bathroom exhaust fan as well as an outdoor receptacle and an outdoor light. The outdoor receptacle is already a GFI outlet.

It happens that the GFI outlet will be located where the power comes into the bathroom, then travels to the outdoor fixtures. I can easily choose to protect the other fixtures (bathroom fan, bathroom light, outdoor light, and outdoor outlet) with the GFI outlet also. Is there any reason why I should or shouldnt do this? Will it be an issue if the outdoor outlet is protected twice (other then the hassle of having to track down the tripped outlet if that happens?) What about having the bathroom fan and bathroom light protected by the gfi?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-12, 07:33 PM
Group Moderator
Current NEC code requires the bathroom receptacle to be on it own 20 amp circuit. This code has been in force for a quite many years. I recommend pulling in a new 20 amp circuit for the bathroom receptacle and leaving the existing circuit alone for the lights, fan and outdoors.