Help wiring up a timer switch for single light

Old 02-28-12, 08:40 PM
Help wiring up a timer switch for single light

I tried, I am confused and so I am reaching out to you guys who know what your doing, as I obviously don't in this situation.

Near my front door there is a standard light switch which has 2 wires going to it. This light switch controls three lights outside, all go on and off at the same time (the porch light and the two on the side of the garage) when you operate it. There are two wires going in to the switch, both appear black with no white stripe, etc. but the box has lots of paint and on the wires, etc. Inside the box are what appear to be a ton of unshielded copper ground wires bundled together that terminate in a pack. The other two light switches have 3 wires going to them and those are three way switches as I have other areas near my staircase that i can operate and those lights (inside lights and such) which switch.

The switch I bought at Home Depot was this GE Sunsmart digital timer
3-Way Sunsmart In-Wall Digital Timer-15312 at The Home Depot

Here is a link to the wiring guide
http://www.jascoproducts.com/support...al-eng-spn.pdf

There are BLACK, WHITE, BLUE, GREEN and RED wires. The box says for 3-way or single light operation, but I just don't see how I can make this work.

In the picture below the switch on the left with the two wires in it, is the switch that I want to replace with this GE timer. I have a nice digital multimeter which I can use to check continuity and voltage. I know that I checked and obviously one of the wires going to that switch on the left (the top wire) is 120V so that is LOAD I assume? and the one on the bottom is LINE? What do I do? Do I need a different timer? Can I make this work? Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-29-12, 03:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You'll have to incorporate the bundle of white wires as they are your neutrals. The white wire from the switch will attach to them. The top black wire is your "line" and will be attached to the black wire on the switch. The bottom black wire is your "load" and will be attached to the blue wire on the switch. Verify that the "line" comes from the bundle of black wires with the red b-cap on them. It is a little difficult to see and it is early morning for me. Your green wire will be capped to the bundle of bare wires.
While you have your hands in the box, it may be beneficial for you to remove the wires from the stab backs in the other switches one at a time and place them under the screw heads. Stab backs are a cheapo fast way to wire things that often fail or cause flickering.

Old 02-29-12, 09:26 AM
Chandler, I appreciate your time and feedback.
Yes, the white wires under that cap, those are the 'neutral', awesome info. I can definitely tap in to those with the white wire off of the bundle. Then the 'line' and the 'load' should be easy. What do you mean with "Verify that the 'line' comes from the bundle of black wires with the red b-cap on them"? I see that pack, but how do I verify? I checked and my volt meter shows voltage coming from those, but what do I look for? Then capping my green to one of the bare copper (ground) wires will be a piece of cake. 10-4 on the stab's, I can switch those out to the screw heads. Thanks!

Here are larger picture links

http://www.farturator.com/amg/wiring.JPG
http://www.farturator.com/amg/wiring2.JPG

Old 02-29-12, 10:23 AM
Group Moderator
Measuring from the wire to ground or neutral verify they are line. The disconnected load (power out) will show zero volts and the line (power in) 120v.

Old 02-29-12, 10:27 AM
Yep, good info, I did that last night. I got 120v from the line/power-in and 0 from the load/power-out. So okay, tonight I re-hook this bad boy up and give it a try.

THANK YOU you guys. I really do appreciate it. I'll re-post with the results if this issue is resolved.

Old 03-01-12, 07:05 AM
This all worked perfectly. I installed it last night and the timer/switch is working perfectly. Thank you so so much! I learned a lot with this thread and have it bookedmarked so i can look at it later for reference. Thanks again!

Old 03-01-12, 03:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Glad we were able to help and glad you were able to get things running like you wanted. C'mon back. We're here.