before I flip the breaker

Old 03-03-12, 03:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
before I flip the breaker

I just got done installing a new water heater. I think I wired it correctly but want a pro's confirmation The instructions said the wiring is easy, connect the red wire to red wire and the black wire to the black..... one problem, the feed has one black and one white. I hooked the black to black and the red [water heater] to the white. Is this correct?

One other thing, no biggy I think - the instructions stated that ground wire needs to be continuous with no splices. The new water heater is a few inches shorter than the old and the ground wire wouldn't reach so I wire nutted an extra few inches so I could hook it up.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-12, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator
Nope...sorry mark...you need to rip it all out and run a new gazillion dollar fiber optic plasma electrical conductor from the nearest nuclear facility to your microwave oven.

Seriously......it's probably not an issue unless it was inspected. I think you need to use a marker to color or otherwise mark the white wire as red...indicating a hot (or whatever the correct term is).

Aww crud...this will be too late to be amusing....

Wow...must be real slow today. I started this an hour ago and forgot to send it.

Old 03-03-12, 05:21 PM
Group Moderator
In Canada they use different cable for 2-conductor 240 that has red and black, sissy Maple Leafers. Here south of the boarder we just use the same cable for both 120v and 240v so we recolor [both ends of] the white with tape or paint or felt tip marker with any color but green or gray or the original white of course.

A splice on the ground shouldn't be a problem if it was done in a junction box.

Last edited by ray2047; 03-03-12 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Clarifacation
Old 03-03-12, 05:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks guys! The splice was done inside of the wire compartment at the top of the water heater. Not sure I understand why the white wire would need to be colored red as the other end is white and hooked up like any other 240 in the breaker box.

I was pretty sure I had it right but it's always nice to have a 2nd opinion when you don't know for sure.

Old 03-03-12, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator
Well...you should actually mark the end in the box red as well. Anyone would/should know it's hot since it's connected to the breaker....but I think thats what code wants.

Old 03-03-12, 06:06 PM
Yep, BOTH ends of the cable need to have the white re-identified to some color other than white, grey or green. The reason is that white and grey are EXCLUSIVELY designated as being the "groundED conductor" (meaning neutral) and green is EXCLUSIVELY used for equipment grounding.

Old 03-04-12, 04:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
There is no green wire and the only red wire is at the water heater connection. The #10 cable has the normal white, black and bare ground.

As far as I know, no permit/inspection is required to replace a water heater in the county.... but even if it was there is no way I'd wait until monday to get a permit and tuesday for the inspection before turning the water heater on.

Old 03-04-12, 06:17 AM
I hope you thoroughly flushed the hot water line to remove all the air trapped at the top of the tank. If you don't, you have a substantial chance of dry firing the top element which will burn it out almost instantly.

Old 03-04-12, 10:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, I run the water thru all the hot water pipes before flipping the breaker. Looks like I'm going to have to drain it though - the tub faucet [doesn't have a shut off] only has a small stream of hot or cold water. It must have some trash in it