Need help with 220/240 wiring

Old 03-03-12, 05:38 PM
Need help with 220/240 wiring

I just bought an air compressor and need to wire it up. I think it should be simple but i want to make sure i am using the right stuff.
I bought a plug from my local ace. I think it is for an oven but it has 3 wires and my air compressor has 3 wires and my plug in has 3 wires so im thinking i should be able to make this work.
My air compressor has a white, black and a green. The plug has no colors but the instruction say the top pole is white but i think that is where i would put the ground. My house has a black, brown and a bare wire(ground)? I would think it would be simple but the question i have is the plug says its not for a grounded system? I don't get it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-12, 05:52 PM
Here is more info;
Basicly i am gonna wire Leviton 800-5206 Flush Mount Range Outlet 3 Pole - Blackthis recepticle and use AceŽ 3 Wire Dryer Cord - Replacement Electrical Cords - Ace Hardwarethis to connect to my air compressor.
I hope those links work lol

Old 03-03-12, 05:54 PM
Are you absolutely certain the motor is wired for 240 volts? I ask because it should have a connecting cable with black, red and green conductors rather than black, white and green.

Plugs and receptacles for other than 120 volt connections come in many different configurations depending on both the voltage and the current (amperage) rating. You should not install a plug/receptacle with a higher amperage rating than the circuit can supply; i.e. do not use a 30 ampere plug/receptacle on a 20 ampere circuit.

Now, are you certain that the wires that you are going to connect to are, in fact, a 240 volt circuit? As with the motor cord the colors should be black and red yet you state they are black and brown. Are you sure the brown is not a simply a discolored white? Do your wires run in conduit? By strict interpretation the wire doesn't have to be red but it cannot be white, grey or green and still be a 240 volt circuit. It may have been white at one time and re-colored to denote it being a 240 volt circuit.

Old 03-03-12, 06:01 PM
Okay, you added the additional info while I was typing out my original response.

Absolutely NO on using the 50 ampere range receptacle (outlet) with the 30 ampere dryer cord, the two will not fit together! If the fixed wiring (in the wall) is #10 or larger you may use a 30 ampere dryer receptacle and 30 ampere dryer cord. If the wiring in the wall is #12 then you are limited to a 20 ampere plug and receptacle and if the wiring is #14 then the limit is 15 amperes and may not be sufficient for the compressor.

Old 03-03-12, 06:29 PM
Group Moderator
Which of these receptacles look like they would fit the plug on your compressor: Plug and Receptacle Configurations

What is the full load amps and voltage on the name plate?

Old 03-03-12, 06:44 PM
The wire coming from my wall is cerrowire 10/3. I am sure it is a 240 motor and i am sure the outlet is a 240 outlet. It has a 20 amp breaker and the compressor motor says it is a 16 amp.

Old 03-03-12, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Which of these receptacles look like they would fit the plug on your compressor: Plug and Receptacle Configurations

What is the full load amps and voltage on the name plate?
There is no plug on the compressor i have to wire a cord onto it. I could just get some 10/3 wire and "hard wire" it but i wanted a more finished look. I need to wire a cord up to the switch.

Old 03-04-12, 05:50 AM
I am sure it is a 240 motor and i am sure the outlet is a 240 outlet. It has a 20 amp breaker and the compressor motor says it is a 16 amp.
Rather than just being sure, you should check the data plate and see if the motor is rated 240 volt or 120/240 volt. You should also use a meter to check the voltage of the circuit. Is this a new compressor? If new, the instructions usually indicate what voltage it is wired for. What is HP of the motor? 16 FLA indicates a bigger motor than most home air compressors would have IF it is wired for 240 volts. If 16 FLA is accurate, you may need to change the breaker to 30 amps to get the motor started.