Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Outlet sparked/charred faceplate while REMOVING Glade Plug-in! Help!

Old 03-04-12, 07:12 AM

Please offer advise on what to do now..
I was removing a glade plug in. There was no oil or problem until I pulled it OUT of the outlet. Then it sparked and popped and I pulled it completely off. There is no GFI on the outlet and its a simple double prong Plugin. It charred the faceplate and the space between the prongs on the back of the Plugin but the prongs are flawless. The outlet is not warm or hot. Is it a danger at this point? Nothing was tripped and I have not cut the electric. But I am paranoid that something will
simmer behind the wall. It happened in the bedroom. Is this an emergency or
can I just get someone in the next few days to change out the outlet? It is a new
home...
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-12, 07:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Being this is a new home I would not expect a loose internal connection on the receptacle. I suspect this was due to the small heater in the plug-in not being able to radiate the heat away from the faceplate. Any device unplugged while it is on will spark as the connection is broken.

Perhaps a call to the Glade customer support line to see if there is a recall.

Old 03-04-12, 07:27 AM
Group Moderator
Are you sure the scorch marks are only on the outside of the faceplate? You might want to remove the faceplate on the wall and have a look around. You can even go a little farther and turn off the power, and pull out the outlet and have a look see for any damage to the wires. If all looks OK then I think you have nothing to worry about.

Old 03-04-12, 12:02 PM
Recall

Is this what you have? Check it out:

Glade Recall

Old 03-04-12, 08:34 PM
Some people refer to Glade plug-ins as little fire bombs. I have no personal knowledge of them being a fire hazard, but the recall tells us a lot.