How to get wiring under house

Old 02-26-12, 08:19 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to get wiring under house

I am going to add a dedicated electrical circuit for my home theater. and I would like to run the wiring under the house(easiest). I'm going to have an electrician look at my work before connecting everything to make sure it's ok. I dont know how to get the wiring to my panel in the garage. The panel is recessed in the drywall and no access to under the house( because of foundation below it and bottom plate of framing) . On the back side of the all the breaker is mounted in is the dining room and hardwood floors. I may not have described the problem accurately, so ask questions as needed please. Thanks

Old 02-26-12, 08:31 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Do you have an unfinished attic above? Is the place you want the home entertainment wiring an outside wall?

Old 02-26-12, 08:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Do you have a crawlspace or basement, or is it slab on grade? IF it is not slab, then you/they can drill up through the bottom plate into the wall cavity to get into the panel.

Old 02-26-12, 09:37 AM
K
crawl space. however it sits in an exterior wall(wall between garage and house, because house sits about a foot higher). So, it is bottom plate on top of foundation. And it is a two story house(lower level)

Old 02-26-12, 10:11 AM
How high is the crawl space? Do you have an access opening. If no access opening and it is more then eighteen inches I'd make an access opening. If not practice to do from the outside in the vertical foundation wall I'd make an access in the floor of a closet.

Old 02-26-12, 10:40 AM
K
I have an acccess, and plenty of room under neath, but no way to get the wires through the bottom plate under the breaker box because it sits directly on the foundation. Thanks

Old 02-26-12, 10:58 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
no way to get the wires through the bottom plate under the breaker box because it sits directly on the foundation.
Typically, the bottom plate sits on top of the subfloor which is on top of the floor joists which are top of the sill plate. The width, or height, of the floor joist is generally at least 9 1/2". That should be enough room to drill through the bottom of the bottom plate with the right equipment.

Old 02-26-12, 10:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Your best bet is to remove the sheetrock, carefully under the panel to the floor. Two vertical cuts on top of the middle of the studs. Once you remove this sheetrock, you will be better able to see what your options are. Although the wall you are describing for the garage is sitting on concrete, the adjoining structure, most likely is sitting on a rim joist which will give you probably 8" or so of space to bring your wiring from the crawl to the panel area. You can replace the sheetrock and finish it out or make a permanent "panel" of it for future access.
Add: gosh I like it when two minds react at the same time with the same response.

Old 02-26-12, 11:07 AM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If I understand correctly, the issues hte OP is having is getting from the crawlspace into the wall where the panel is, and accessing the bottom of the panel to bring the wire in.

Remove the drywall underneath the panel so you have enough access to get your hands in there to work. If you are careful enough during your removal, you can replace the same piece of drywall, then tape and mud the seams. It's important to seal the seams to prevent any vehicle fumes from entering the building and to maintain the fire barrier.

If you cannot get good access from below to drill a hole through the subfloor and into the wall cavity, use one these bits from above through the hole you made under the panel: 9/16 in. x 54 in. Screw Point Flex Drill Bit-53718SEN at The Home Depot It will probably be much easier to locate the hole when drilled from above anyway. The bit is well worth the price.

Old 02-26-12, 11:13 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Actually, I like the idea of removing the sheetrock under the panel better than drilling from the crawl space. Anything to cut down on time spent in a crawl space is a good thing.

Old 02-26-12, 11:51 AM
Warning: When cutting below a breaker panel cut off main breaker and use hand tools only.

Old 03-05-12, 01:49 PM
I
Permit

Recommmend you get a Permit, yes you would have to pay for it and it would be about the same as having an electrician inspect it. This way you know it is up to code just in case something happens, I remomodeld my Kitchen and had to go the the subfloor for my Island back out ouf the house through crawl space vent, used electrical counduit outside the hous for a little cause the garage was on a slab. Housing inspector very satisfied. Als makes my insurance co happy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: