3 way switches contolling recessed lights

Old 01-15-01, 03:36 PM
anntique
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Please help...I'm trying to wire a series (9) of recessed lights to two three way switches. Power is entering first switch box with 14/2 cable. Fixtures are run with 14/3 (red lead traveling). Question is this: how is the series run between the switches...?

Old 01-15-01, 04:12 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Okay, there is a zillion choices, but here are two:

(1) Run 14/3 from the first switch to the second switch, making no stops along the way. Then run 14/2 from the second switch to the first light, from the first light to the second light, from the second light to the third, etc. Use red and black for travellers between the switches. All lights are wired by simply matching wire colors. I highly recommend this solution. In this solution, white wires are always the grounded conductor -- a simplification I think is worth a little extra wire.

(2) Run 14/3 from the first switch to the first light and from the first light to the second switch. Then run 14/2 from the first light to the second, from the second to the third, etc. Just use the normal wiring diagram for one light and two three way switches. The other lights are connected to the first light as in solution (1).

Please please use solution (1). It will make your life simple.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: