GFCI Near a basement well tank.

Old 03-05-12, 04:05 PM
GFCI Near a basement well tank.

Greetings,

I've recently built a studded closet around our well tank and water softener to accommodate the finished basement living space. There was already a 15 Amp GFCI outlet 48" above the ground, above the tank & behind it attached to a 2x4 secured to the foundation wall. This was the only outlet in this vicinity before the remodel.

I've since replaced that circuit with 12/2 and removed the 14/2 single location circuit. Removed the 15 Amp GFCI and replaced it with a 20 Amp GFCI in the same location, in the old box.

I incorporated this into the new 12/2 circuit that feed's 400 sq ft of newly created open living space. This area will also be protected by an Arc Fault breaker. Is this safe/wise to incorporate that particular GFCI box location into the full 400 sq ft circuit?

My other question is whether I should install two additional 20 Amp GFCI preceeding & proceeding the well tank GFCI outlet outside of the closet because of the water source distance? They're installed at standard height and outside of the enclosure "BUT" they're within 6 feet of the tank regardless of the wall or door space separation.

Final question. This in regard to the baseboard placement. What would the minimum safe distance be from this enclosure when installing a 6' baseboard for this area?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-12, 05:10 PM
Group Moderator
I've recently built a studded closet around our well tank and water softener to accommodate the finished basement living space. There was already a 15 Amp GFCI outlet 48" above the ground, above the tank & behind it attached to a 2x4 secured to the foundation wall. This was the only outlet in this vicinity before the remodel.
This is good, because each unfinished space is required to have at least one GFCI protected receptacle.

I've since replaced that circuit with 12/2 and removed the 14/2 single location circuit. Removed the 15 Amp GFCI and replaced it with a 20 Amp GFCI in the same location, in the old box.
Not necessary. A duplex GFCI device is ok to use on a 20 amp circuit as are duplex 15 amp receptacles on a 20 amp circuit. The only time it is required to be a 20 amp receptacle is when it is a single (simplex) device and is the only place to plug into that circuit. That said, however, you can leave it as there is nothing wrong with it.

I incorporated this into the new 12/2 circuit that feed's 400 sq ft of newly created open living space. This area will also be protected by an Arc Fault breaker. Is this safe/wise to incorporate that particular GFCI box location into the full 400 sq ft circuit?
Yes. GFCI's and AFCI do play nice with each other.

My other question is whether I should install two additional 20 Amp GFCI preceeding & proceeding the well tank GFCI outlet outside of the closet because of the water source distance? They're installed at standard height and outside of the enclosure "BUT" they're within 6 feet of the tank regardless of the wall or door space separation
In my opinion, no. The closet is a separate area and therefore is not required to have GFCI protection. Also, the well tank or water softener is not a sink and would not be covered but the 6' rule. Again, if you want to GFCI protect them all, there is nothing wrong with it. You would only need one GFCI device and just utilize the "LINE" and "LOAD" features of the device.

Final question. This in regard to the baseboard placement. What would the minimum safe distance be from this enclosure when installing a 6' baseboard for this area?
You can have the baseboard heater anyplace you want. In fact, baseboard heat is used all the time in bathrooms and kitchens for heat. And well houses, mechanical rooms, and sprinkler rooms to prevent freezing. As long as it is properly installed and grounded it is fine.

Old 03-05-12, 05:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Do not install the baseboard heat below the electric receptacles.