Installing 100amp service panel

Old 03-09-12, 04:04 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing 100amp service panel

I own a 2 family house and have 2 service panels for each apartment in my basement. I'm currently in the process of remodeling the upstairs apartment and have been redoing all the electrical wiring upstairs. I installed a 100amp service panel in the upstairs closet for convience. The new service panel is about 40 feet away (in the way I have to run it) from the main power source coming in. I now have to run the feed line to the new service panel and wanted to find out what would be the best type of wire to use to power it up. Im looking for the cheaper way out but dont want it to be a hazard. The apartment has a stove, washer/dryer, 2 bedrooms, living room, kitchen, and a bathroom. Each room has a light and several plugs and the kitchen will be running a Frig as well.

Thanks,
Chad

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-12, 05:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 71 Votes on 61 Posts
Chad, the code requires specific dedicated spaces for the panel and work area. Closets typically do not meet these requirements. Panels are also prohibited from closets in the area of easily ignited materials like clothes. You may need to rethink the panel location.

Think of a refrigerator sized box in front of the panel when doing your planning.

Old 03-09-12, 01:46 PM
P
A "Service Panel" is the panel / enclosure where the Service Dis-connect is located.-- The basic thrust of your question is what "Wiring Method" (WM) should be used for routing the "Feeder Conductors" between the Service panel and the sub-panel. Most probably the best WM for your project would be Type NM non-metallic cable with 100-amp conductors .

Old 03-09-12, 04:52 PM
Received 71 Votes on 62 Posts
To your new subpanel I would run SER cable. I would also relocate the new subpanel from the closet to perhaps a hallway where it could be installed flush and the cover and door painted to match the wall finish.

Old 03-09-12, 05:55 PM
C
Thanks for the replies. The "closet" that the panel will be located in will be just for the sub panel. it is a unfinished 3 feet deept about 3 feet wide closet. i thought it would be the best location to runs wiring to each room of the apartment and has a direct shot to the basement for the main feed. Do you still believe even tho nothing is going to be stored in this closet that i should still relocate it? one of my main queations is the guage of wire i should use? 2 or 4?

Thanks,
Chad

Old 03-09-12, 07:28 PM
one of my main queations is the guage of wire i should use? 2 or 4?
Will the feeder be aluminum or copper? How many amps do you need in the apartment?

The "closet" that the panel will be located in will be just for the sub panel. it is a unfinished 3 feet deept about 3 feet wide closet.
If you have a full 36 inches clearance from the face of the panel, the unfinished closet will be fine as long as no shelves or obstructions are placed in front of the panel.

Old 03-10-12, 04:36 AM
C
Ill most likely br purchasing aluminum.

Old 03-10-12, 04:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 71 Votes on 61 Posts
How many amps did you calculate each apartment needs?

Old 03-10-12, 05:04 AM
C
I havent done that yet. Hoe is the best way to figure that out. Its a 5 room apaetment. 2 bedrooms, living room, kitchen, and bathroom. There is a washer/dryer and stove in the apartment.

Old 03-10-12, 05:59 AM
There is a washer/dryer and stove in the apartment.
Electric or gas dryer? Electric or gas stove? Any air conditioning? Electric or gas heat? Electric or gas water heater? How many general use receptacles? How many lights?

Old 03-10-12, 06:52 AM
C
Electric stove, washer/dryer, and heat. Gas hot water. The living room has a light and 6 plugs, each bedroom has a light and 4 plugs, the kitchen has a light and 5 plugs, and the bathroom has a fan/light 2 other lights and 3 plugs.