Does anyone know what is this electrical box

Old 03-09-12, 10:22 AM
Does anyone know what is this electrical box

It's in my garage right next to the electrical panel near the ceiling.. looks like low voltage wires.. does anyone know what this is?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-12, 10:27 AM
Group Moderator
Door bell transformer? Disconnect one side and see if the doorbell still works. Maybe furnace thermostat? Anything unusual located nearby, or on the other side?

Old 03-09-12, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator
I'd guess doorbell as well. I've seen that more than once.

Furnace transformers are normally near the furnace somewhere.

Old 03-09-12, 11:08 AM
Group Moderator
Yeah, normally. Maybe smoke detectors? Or security system?

Old 03-09-12, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator
You might have a better idea if you look to see if you can see a tag.
Normally a doorbell transformer is 16 volts, a furnace transformer is 24 volts and a security system is 12 volts.

Old 03-09-12, 04:55 PM
Regardless what low voltage system it's for, it's a sloppy installation.

Old 03-09-12, 07:28 PM
Thanks guys.. this forum is great (first time poster)..

I removed the wire, and doorbell stopped working.. never thought the doorbell transform would be in the garage (with the main floor being a floor above).. but read that code requires the transformer to be visible (I guess to easily change it). And it was right next to the electrical panel.

This was here in the house form before we bought it.. what's wrong with this installation? actually I wanted to find a cover for it anyways, as it's a bit unsightly...

thanks for the help!

Old 03-09-12, 08:54 PM
Group Moderator
Glad you figured it out.

The installation looks shoddy because it appears that the box was installed flush with the studs (I imagine the garage once had no drywall, and the electrician didn't install the box 1/2" beyond the stud edge in anticipation of someone hanging drywall someday). So then the person who hung drywall just rocked around it, rather than disconnecting it... relocating the box so that it would stick out 1/2", cutting carefully around the box so that the plate "cover" would cover the cut edge of the drywall, and neatly run the wire through a hole in the sheetrock.

Old 03-09-12, 11:29 PM
It looks a lot like my father's shop telephone ringer. He installed one so he could hear the phone ring over loud shop noises...

Old 03-10-12, 12:14 AM
Thanks XSleeper..

I might just fix it up myself (there's access to the studs behind that wall which is just an empty area under the stairwell).. and minimally put a cover over it so you don't notice it...

Old 03-10-12, 10:17 AM
It's for the doorbell.

Old 03-10-12, 10:21 AM
I guess my answer has been covered. If anything, the dry-wall work is sloppy!! The install of the electrical is normal>>>This includes the location. I canít see how someone can assume the box is not installed correctly, as we canít tell from the pic angle. The transformer should be left in a space that gives it room to accept free flowing ambient air. If you want I can post a pic of 200+ houses that have the same installationówhere the drywall is installed correctly.

Old 03-10-12, 07:39 PM
Group Moderator
I canít see how someone can assume the box is not installed correctly, as we canít tell from the pic angle.
Judging by the cut edge of drywall above the receptacle, the cover is clearly recessed behind the drywall, meaning the box should have been a little farther out.

Old 03-11-12, 04:40 AM
Yeah he's right.. This box is recessed and flush against the studs... but yeah it is hard to tell from the angle of the picture... good eye..

Old 03-11-12, 06:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can add a box extender to bring this out flush to the surface. You could then patch the drywall.

Old 03-11-12, 08:27 AM
Judging from the fact the box has a handy box cover on it, I would say the box is a handy box. A handy box is the wrong type of box to be attached to a stud on a wall with drywall. There are better choices for this application. I'm not sure a box extender will work with a handy box, but maybe someone else will know. I'd either change the box or leave it like it is now.