Trying to Install New Items in my home

Old 03-11-12, 09:17 AM
Trying to Install New Items in my home

I have an older home. Most of the switches have only two wires going to them, both black. I wasn't even thinking, but I wanted to install a bathroom fan in my bathroom and use a combination switch, but is that even possible without have that white wire already in there? I have wired up the bathroom fan, I just am stuck here. I am going to have this same concern throughout the house when I try and install ceiling fans. There is a ceiling fan in one of the bedrooms and I checked last night, only two wires at the light switch (it is a single switch same thing in the kitchen also). I am just stuck on what to do. Is this going to turn into an even more bigger project than expected?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-12, 09:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
More info is needed. If your old wiring is ungrounded, the circuits should not be added to or extended. New installations require grounded circuits.

A white is not connected to a switch. If it is it is not a neutral but is part of a switch loop and is a hot conductor.

Old 03-11-12, 09:39 AM
I am unsure if it is grounded or not. I am extremely new at this. I do know that when I looked at the outlets in my living room, they are very old and no grounds on the outlets themselves. I have yet to replace thought.

Old 03-11-12, 09:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Can you take a pic of the wiring near your panel and post it here?

With two prong receptacles I doubt your wiring is grounded.

Old 03-11-12, 09:55 AM
are you talking about the switch? I can, but it will be later when my phone is charged...And I will!!!