New outlet from gfci outlet

Old 03-11-12, 12:31 PM
New outlet from gfci outlet

Would like to add an outlet in bathroom, want to splice from a gfci outlet that has 2 lines running into it. Looks like it is 20 amp. Can I do this? and if so which line do I splice from.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-12, 01:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! You won't "splice" into anything. The screws opposite the ones going into the GFCI are marked "LOAD" You would run your 12-2 cable from the GFCI to the new receptacle location and attach the wires to the LOAD side of the GFCI. Usually on newer GFCI's there are places for two sets of wires in and two sets of wires out (two holes per screw) If you already have wires in one set of the LOAD holes, just place the new receptacle's wires adjacent to them and tighten the screw down. If your GFCI doesn't have that capability, time to replace it anyway.

Old 03-11-12, 01:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Depending on where you are trying to install the new receptacle, you may not be able to use the bathroom as a source of power.

Old 03-11-12, 01:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I was thinking bathroom to bathroom....same bathroom.

Old 03-11-12, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the info, you gave me enough information to figure out what needs to be done, sorry for the terminology, clearly not an electrician. Looks like I will need to get a bigger box, 2 separate lines are already run into the box, and both are pigtailed together, so sounds like I need to install a new gfi. I have already hooked up the additional outlet (with 12 cable) just have to hook it up to the gfi.
Thanks for your help

And yes it is the same bathroom.