Short Circuit

Old 03-12-12, 05:28 PM
Short Circuit

I'm confused,

This is in the Sub-Panel, nothing is hot yet. The main feeder isn't hooked up yet!
The Neutral and ground are separated, no bonding screw!!

Checked all the individual wires with OL continuity and they all rung out ok, but after I hooked everything up in the panel, I get a faint ring sound on my meter, not the normal constant beeeeeeeeeeep!!
If I take one lead to the Neutral and the other lead to the ground, I get the same faint sound.
When I touch the leads together I get a strong beeping sound meaning the continuity is good, but when I touch the Neutral and ground is sounds like the battery is going bad, but the battery is fine!! weird!! Any help with this ? hopefully this is normal for the sub-panel, but doesn't seem like it!!
I get the sound on the some breakers also!! hmmmm

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-12, 05:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You can't check continuity with a circuit "live". It is your meter dying a slow death. Or do you have the meter on "diode" check. If so, it will beep when the leads are touched. Nevertheless, don't check continuity or diodes with power on. You need to switch to a voltage setting on AC once power is applied.

Old 03-12-12, 05:44 PM
This is in the Sub-Panel, nothing is hot yet. The main feeder isn't hooked up yet!

As stated!!

Old 03-12-12, 06:11 PM
If everyone is confused about this, then maybe I'm typing it wrong, let me try this :: The sub panel is supplying everything in the house, long story why, I have posted way back before!! Anyway, I'm thinking its the heater and the stove that is reading the continuity on a the Neutral bar to ground!! I don't know what is in them, maybe a transformer or resistor or something that is making it seem grounded!

Old 03-13-12, 03:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Why are you testing for continuity? Yes, I am totally confused regarding your testing reasons. If the wiring is complete to the breakers, and the line is ready, why the hesitation? I have never heard of a subpanel supplying an entire house. Maybe a garage. Why don't you post pictures of the inside of this subpanel so we can see what you are seeing. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 03-13-12, 06:50 AM
Ground Continuity

Anyway, I'm thinking its the heater and the stove that is reading the continuity on a the Neutral bar to ground!!
Check the heater and stove to see if the neutrals and grounds are isolated.