Solar panel and snow

Old 03-17-12, 09:00 AM
Solar panel and snow

No sure if it's the right sub forum, but it's a start.

I have a solar panel and every time it snows, it's covered with it. Like it happens now. Wet snow just sticks to it quite well.

Anyone has any ideas how to prevent this? I Rain-X-d it several times, and it sort of works, but not too well. Have to go squeegee it again.

Working suggestions appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-12, 10:22 AM
Group Moderator
Windshield wiper?

Old 03-17-12, 10:53 AM
Group Moderator
Can you put any deicing stuff on it? I would be a little fearful of something like salt though.

Old 03-17-12, 11:52 AM
I re rain x-d it, and it's good so far. I like wiper idea, but it prolly take more power to run, than panel produces.
It does not freeze, but because panel has to be at 45 degrees, it simply accumulates on it. It's OK while I'm home, as I clean it, but if not - snow will basically block sunlight. And it powers gate opener.
Methanol mix should be OK as deicer for it. Stuff for windshields should work, and that's basically what it is.
I guess, nothing works better than g'ol elbow grease. Can't do cover, no point in running heat supply to it. Maybe I'll Spam it, though not sure how oil film will influence performance. But Spam works on satellite dishes well.
Oh, the light bulb! Silicone spray!!!

Old 03-17-12, 12:02 PM
it powers gate opener.
I would think the solar panel probably charges a battery that operates the gate opener, correct? If not, the gate opener won't work at night. Is the battery good....OR....do you need a bigger battery?

Old 03-17-12, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator
You might consider a spray wax like Eagle-1 nano wax. I use it on things like headlights, grills, etc on my cars and it really works well. It can also be used on windows and mirrors and works much like Rain-X. I use it on 2 skylights on my house and all the dust, poop, and stuff that collects washes right off with a rain or spray from a hose.

I think it's easier to apply than Rainx and doesn't have any streaking or drying issues.

Old 03-17-12, 01:01 PM
oh, yeah, I like that idea. Also, have several skylights it might work on too. Thanks! I'll need to re-tint them this year anyway, then will wax.