Dedicated Circuit

Old 03-17-12, 07:22 PM
Dedicated Circuit

OK, I must be thick. New to this forum, hope for some good advice. So, I am removing my whirlpool tub from the master suite, the pump for the tub is powered by a dedicated 20a circuit. The tub actually plugged into a receptacle, the only thing on the circuit, it is a 20 a recept. So after the tub is out, I decide to move the dedicated circuit to another part of the bathroom, get in the attic, pull the wire and feed it down to the new wall location. I pull the wire out and reconnected the receptacle, but did not flip the breaker. I left the receptacle alone, did not use it and a week goes by. So I then decide to add another recept to this circuit, hey 20 amps, it can take another recept. I connect the original recept, then feed wires from the original to the new recept. and - no power. So, I think I connected the new recept wrong, so I disconnect it, and try the power to the main recept - and it is dead too. Now, i am stumped, I disconnect it, strip back a foot of cable, re-connect and still no power. It seems pretty simple, black to the bronze, white to the chrome and ground to the ground (on the recept), flip the breaker - no power. So, as I mentioned in the first sentence, I must be thick. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-12, 07:45 PM
Group Moderator
The circuit is probably GFCI protected. There may be another receptacle on the circuit. One you aren't aware of that is a GFCI. Possibility #2 is a blank face GFCI. It should be in the same room as the tub was. Was there a timer on the tub? Sometimes there is a blank face GFCI is near that. You have reset the breaker haven't you. Sometimes they don't look tripped but are so you need to turn it all the way off then on.

Old 03-17-12, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the reply. Answers:

The circuit is probably GFCI protected. There may be another receptacle on the circuit.
I believe there is only the one recep on the circuit. It is only labeled "Whirlpool" at my main panel, my assumption, it was dedicated for the tub.

One you aren't aware of that is a GFCI. Possibility #2 is a blank face GFCI. It should be in the same room as the tub was.

See above, I just don't think there is anything else on that circuit.

Was there a timer on the tub? Sometimes there is a blank face GFCI is near that.

No timer, or blank face GFCI near it.

You have reset the breaker haven't you. Sometimes they don't look tripped but are so you need to turn it all the way off then on.

Yes, multiple times.

I wonder if I am not connecting to the recept correctly? Do I need to ground the recept to the box, or when I attach the ground to the recept itself, does that satisfy? I just can't think of anything else it could be. I guess I could check the other receptacles in my master bath. I will do that first thing tomorrow. We can continue then. Thanks.

Old 03-17-12, 09:32 PM
Group Moderator
Do I need to ground the recept to the box, or when I attach the ground to the recept itself, does that satisfy?
Grounds are for safety not function. It will work fine without a ground.By code I would expect a Whirlpool to have a GFCI as would all receptacles in a bathroom. If the breaker isn't GFCI you need to check every GFCI inside, outside, basement, garage, attic and then look behind things you seldom move to find the one you didn't know about. We have had threads more then twenty posts long with original poster swearing there was no GFCI receptacle only to have him find it in some out of the way place.

I believe there is only the one recep on the circuit. It is only labeled "Whirlpool" at my main panel, my assumption, it was dedicated for the tub.
I wouldn't assume that.

How are you testing for voltage?

Old 03-17-12, 10:21 PM
Did you check the power at the breaker?

Old 03-17-12, 11:25 PM
Group Moderator
Did you check the power at the breaker?
Good point.

Old 03-18-12, 06:27 AM
Have not checked power at the breaker. You mean at that specific breaker right, since everything else we normally use electrically, is working fine.

I would assume the original recept was a GFCI, since it's only function was to rum the pump, and it was laying under the tub (pump has a power chord - not hard wired.

I did check to power at the recept location, with a a little 2 connector tester (no gauges, just lights up when there is power).

Am I going to have to pull the cover plate at my panel to test that individual breaker?

Old 03-18-12, 07:11 AM
I would assume the original recept was a GFCI, since it's only function was to rum the pump, and it was laying under the tub (pump has a power chord - not hard wired.
If the original receptacle was a GFCI, it would have had test and reset buttons on the face. It shouldn't have been just laying under the tub. After reading that, I am thinking maybe there was no GFCI protection at all. Do you have a GFCI receptacle at or near your main service panel? If so, check to see if it has tripped.

Old 03-18-12, 07:12 AM
Group Moderator
Yes, check power at the breaker for the circuit.

Old 03-18-12, 07:28 AM
OK Ray2047 and others who provided advice - a big THANKS. Yes, I did think that since the circuit was labeled only "whirlpool" that it was the only thing on that circuit. So, I follow suggestions, and begin checking recepts adjacent to the tub location, and bingo, a recept, in my master closet no less, was a GFCI that was- you guessed it - tripped. Problem - no more! Thanks again.

A follow up - can I extend this circuit, that currently is wired with 12-2, and add a 15a GFCI recept with some 14-2 wire. Or do I have to stay with 12-2. Also, I have answered a question I had, because of the good advice here, the 20 a recept under my tub that was running the pump must NOT have been a GFCI, because of the master closet GFCI that was "ahead" of the tub recept. That is where the protection for that circuit is located.

Old 03-18-12, 09:14 AM
Group Moderator
A follow up - can I extend this circuit, that currently is wired with 12-2, and add a 15a GFCI recept with some 14-2 wire. Or do I have to stay with 12-2.
If the breaker is 20a you must use #12. It is okay to use a 15 amp receptacle on a 20a circuit so long as there is more then one plug-in. A duplex receptacle counts as two plug-ins.