Problem with electrical outlets -- new ones don't work

Old 03-18-12, 06:57 PM
Problem with electrical outlets -- new ones don't work

I am replacing the white decorating outlets in my kitchen with black ones. The white ones are about 7 years old.

I have used the standard wiring pattern for replacement -- white wire to silver, black and red wire to brass, ground to green. However, the black outlets will not work. I have put back in the white ones, and they work fine; put the black ones back in with the same wiring pattern, and they don't work (the breaker won't switch back on). I have replaced the black outlets with new ones. Same problem. I took both the white outlet and the black one back to the store, and they said they were the same.

White outlets are back in place and working fine. What is the problem here?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-12, 07:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! You indicate a "red" wire in the mix. Are any of the receptacles switch controlled? Does the white receptacle where there is a red wire have a broken tab between the red and black wire?

Old 03-18-12, 07:15 PM
Look closely at the brass screw side of the original receptacles and then compare them to the new receptacles. Has the brass tab on the old receptacles been removed? If yes, then you will need to do the same on the new receptacles. If you have both red and black wires on the same receptacle (using two brass screws) then you absolutely must remove the tab.

Old 03-18-12, 08:03 PM
Thanks, that seems to be the problem all right. On the white receptacles, there is no tab between the brass screws.

Old 03-19-12, 04:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Then use a pair of needle nose pliers and simply break it apart, replace your wiring and let us know if that solves the problem.

Old 03-19-12, 10:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The split wired receptacles in kitchens in Canada seems to be a common thing. I don't remember if the code required it or not.

Old 03-19-12, 06:36 PM
The NEC requires split wired receptacles (with 2 separate circuits) to be powered with a 2 pole breaker. Don't know about in Canada.