Another light switch problem

Old 01-16-01, 05:58 AM
Visiting Guest
Talking

I recently replaced two light switches in my home and when I took the cover off the switches one of the switches had no wires connected to it (who knows it's purpose) and the other (basement light) had two black wires connected to the hot screw (not pigtailed), one red connected to the lower right side and a white connected to the neutral screw on the left of the switch. I know that two wires not pigtailed and connected to a single screw is dangerous, is this correct? Anyway, I removed one of the blacks from the screw and connected it to the other switch which previously had not wires ( I only did this to safely remove the second black wire because I didn't have any extra wire for a pigtail). Now when I turn on the switch for the basement light it turns the light on but turns off all power in the garage. My question is this, can I somehow re-wire the second switch (the one which had no wires), to control the power to the garage or should I just pigtail the two blacks and set it up the way it previously was? I hope this makes some sense. If not please reply and I'll try to provide additional details.

Thank You.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-01, 07:36 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Q: The other (basement light) had two black wires connected to the hot screw (not pigtailed), one red connected to the lower right side and a white connected to the neutral screw on the left of the switch. I know that two wires not pigtailed and connected to a single screw is dangerous, is this correct?

A: Two wires under one screw is always wrong, as you already know. FYI, there is no such thing as a "neutral screw" on a switch.

Q: Anyway, I removed one of the blacks from the screw and connected it to the other switch which previously had not wires ( I only did this to safely remove the second black wire because I didn't have any extra wire for a pigtail).

A: This was a mistake. Those two wires were connected together for a reason. You can't just disconnect them and expect everything to be okay.

Q: Now when I turn on the switch for the basement light it turns the light on but turns off all power in the garage.

A: Are you sure that garage power is only off when you flip the switch, or is it off all the time?

Q: Can I somehow re-wire the second switch (the one which had no wires), to control the power to the garage or should I just pigtail the two blacks and set it up the way it previously was?

A: Maybe, but I can't see why you'd want to do this. I'd recommend you just install the pigtail and put things electrically back they way they were. My guess is that the wire you disconnected feeds power to the garage. If so, you could switch that with your spare switch. Just connect that wire to one side of the spare switch, and connect line power (via a second pigtail from the wire it used to share a screw with).

Let us know.

Old 01-17-01, 10:06 PM
mojo
Visiting Guest
are you sure your not replacing a 3 way switch with a single pole switch?