Danged critters

Old 03-22-12, 07:52 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Danged critters

I have an electrical wire exposed on an outside wall where I intended to install an exterior light over my deck.

Some critters have now chewed through and damaged the cement board siding and have cut through the wire insulation.

Inside is finished and behind the drywall is spray foam insulation.

It will be very difficult to re-run a new wire due to the spray foam insulation, not to mention the drywall removal.

Can I cut the wire back and install a junction box inside the wall? Then feed a new wire out of that box for thje fixture? I have heard that hidden boxes are not a great idea - are they in violation of a code?

Other ideas? Can I re-insulate the wire?

Thanks

Old 03-22-12, 08:19 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Yes, hidden boxes violate code and are a real PITA for the repairman that comes behind you looking for the loose connection.

I have an electrical wire
You mean cable, correct?
exposed on an outside wall where I intended to install an exterior light over my deck.
You mean it was on the inside of the wall not along the outside surface of the wall, correct?

Old 03-22-12, 08:29 PM
Thanks Ray. NM-B poking out of a hole. The cable/wire (I have never heard it called cable here in Minnesota - the big box stores list it as wire) is run from somewhere (light switch?) inside the wall, and the end of it pokes out of the wall on the outside - exposed to the elements.

This is in a room addition that I am preparing to finish and have not gotten around to putting up the exterior lighting.

The 2x6 framed walls have on the exterior: sheeting, housewrap then cement board. On the interior I have spray foam insulation filling the voids and then drywall.

If I have to re-run a wire then I have to take off the drywall, cut out the insulation, figure out where the wire comes from, and then pull another wire through the holes in the studs or drill more.

That is a lot of work - there must be another way that is code-friendly. Spray foam insulation is expensive and I'd have to re-insulate when I'm done.

I can't be the only sad sack that has had chewed up wires with spray foam insulation causing re-wiring diffculties, can I?

Old 03-22-12, 09:58 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
You don't have to go back to the source, only back far enough to get to undamaged cable/wire. That may not be as difficult as you think. Installing a splice box with an accessible cover in the outside wall makes the most sense and the cover can always be painted to almost disappear. Or, there is nothing wrong with hanging something over the blank cover to disguise or hide it provided the item is readily removable to allow access. Maybe you can even relocate the proposed light fixture a few inches and get enough undamaged cable/wire for the installation.

A few pictures might help us to see your problem and make other suggestions.

Old 03-22-12, 10:03 PM
Wires are what is in a cable.The bigbox guys show their ignorance all the time.

Some pictures might better help us understand your situation. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...-pictures.html

My first thought is two surface boxes with conduit between. Ugly but could be painted and would be code approved. They make special box surrounds made to fit on horizontal siding.
An example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcxWA9cLrKE

Old 03-23-12, 02:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Another thing that may have been mentioned is cutting a hole on the interior wall directly behind where this cable exits the exterior wall, pull the cable back into the house, install an old work box, make your splice, send the new cable outside, place a cover plate on the old work box and paint over it. Not the prettiest, but it will be code compliant, and sure a lot better than pulling a new cable in your situation.

Old 03-23-12, 11:39 AM
Pics:

Old 03-23-12, 12:23 PM
Since you have t1-11 type siding not lap as I was thinking this should be easier. Is the insulation intact on the individual wires? Is the hole where you want the light? Is there a switch on the cable coming out? What type of light are you mounting?

Old 03-23-12, 12:29 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
What are you planning to do with that cable? When you say >>where I intended to install an exterior light over my deck

Old 03-23-12, 12:51 PM
The exterior fixture mounts directly to the wall and there is room in the fixture for the wire nuts. (I have installed some others). There is no box behind the others.

The insulation has been chewed off the neutral to the edge of the outside wall. (See last pic)
Note: I did not know before how far back it was chewed off until I took that pic by shoving my cell phone in the hole.
There is an interior light switch that controls this location.
The hole is where I want it. I am thinking that the solution is to put in a box right where the hole is and find a way to mount the fixture to the box. How does that sound?

Old 03-23-12, 01:05 PM
Sounds like a plan! That's what it sounded like you might be doing. And since Liquid Electrical Tape comes in all kinds of colors, including white, you can use some to re-insulate that exposed neutral.

Old 03-23-12, 01:23 PM
One question - what do I affix the box to? Or do I use something like a remodel box with wings?

Old 03-23-12, 01:26 PM
Got me, buddy - it's your wall! No, seriously, you can use a remodel box with wings. In fact, I would.

Old 03-23-12, 02:26 PM
There is no box behind the others.
That needs to be fixed. Unless the fixture is approved as a connection box there must be a box. Yes, you can use an old work box.

Old 03-23-12, 02:32 PM
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the advice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: