Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Can a get power from a light fixture to power more lights and another switch

Can a get power from a light fixture to power more lights and another switch

Old 03-24-12, 02:11 PM
Can i get power from a light fixture to power more lights and another switch

I have a 15 amp circuit with 14-2 wire powering a single hall light with a single switch. I would like to add a few more lights to this circuit but i do not have the access to run a jumper from the switch box to the new switch box. I do have access to run from the fixture to the new switch box. Is there a way to take power from the fixture to the new switch box? Or will the original switch end up controlling the power to the new switch I E original switch on new switch has power, original switch off new switch has no power? Hopefully this makes sense. Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-12, 02:32 PM
It depends upon whether or not the fixture is the point of power for that particular fixture.

Years ago it was common to always run the power to the fixture and then run a "switch leg" to the switch location. The latest edition of the National Electrical Code requires that every switch location must now contain a "neutral" connection so running power to the switch first and then only switched conductors to the light fixture is going to become the norm.

Turn off your power for this circuit and then carefully remove the switch. If you have only two wires, most likely a black and a white (ignore any bare copper wires) you have a switch leg and will be able to connect a new light to the existing fixture without having the new light being controlled by the switch of the existing fixture. The white at the switch, providing you have ONLY a single black and a single white may have been "re-identified" with a colored pen or tape.

Old 03-24-12, 03:17 PM
Power comes from the breaker box to the switch box and then to the fixture. Does this mean running a jumper from the switch box to the new switch is my only option?

Old 03-24-12, 04:09 PM
Group Moderator
Does this mean running a jumper from the switch box to the new switch is my only option?
No you could run power to the new switch from a closer source if there an is unrestricted circuit* such as a receptacle closer.

You could also replace the existing 2-conductor cable between the light and switch with a 3-conductor cable and run from the light as you planed.

*Examples of restricted circuits are bath receptacles, kitchen counter top receptacles, dining room receptacles, and laundry receptacles.

Old 03-24-12, 04:13 PM
That's what it sounds like, unless you see an existing J-box that the cable to that switch goes through on its way from the panel, or you see a spot in that run where you could insert a new J-box and have enough slack in the existing cable to splice it back together with a new cable to feed your new switch added in.

Old 03-24-12, 05:35 PM
Thanks everyone for the help.