Some questions about 60A spa installation

Old 03-24-12, 07:12 PM
Some questions about 60A spa installation

We bought a new spa that requires 60A 4 wires (2 hot, 1 neutral and 1 ground).

We are in the process of preparing the ground outside to receive the spa. So I need to run the wire underneath the gravel before compacting it...

My questions is: should I use a PVC conduit or a underground rated wire? how to avoid potential damage to the wire from the gravel and the compacting action?

Another question is where should my wire (or conduit) end? I know where the electrical panel on the spa is located, but how will I fish the wire once the spa is in place, sitting on top of the wire? Is the proper way of doing this to drill the spa while it is on its side (during delivery) and fish the wire that way? I am a bit confused about that part...

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-12, 07:34 PM
The rules for spas, hot tubs and pools are quite complex. Others will be by to advise on specifics but you definitely want to use conduit (PVC) buried underground to to the spa's connection box. Generally you would not have the conduit enter the connection box from the bottom as that makes placing the spa in position rather difficult.

You may be required to have an "equi-potential" grid under and around the spa. This is not my area of expertise so wait for better and more complete answers.

Old 03-24-12, 07:44 PM
Group Moderator
My questions is: should I use a PVC conduit or a underground rated wire? how to avoid potential damage to the wire from the gravel and the compacting action?
You will need outdoor rated wire (THWN) with conduit and yes the conduit will of course protect it but if you use conduit it must be 18" so I doubt the gravel will be that deep. You must use conduit because you can not use a bare ground.

Last edited by ray2047; 03-24-12 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-24-12, 08:47 PM
If you use direct burial cable (no conduit)...
I'm pretty sure you cannot use type UF cable with a hot tub, you need an insulated equipment grounding conductor.

Old 03-24-12, 09:09 PM
Group Moderator
I'm pretty sure you cannot use type UF cable with a hot tub, you need an insulated equipment grounding conductor.
Thanks. I swear I knew that. Post has been corrected.

Old 03-24-12, 09:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Once the conduit enters the bottom of the tub enclosure it is common to switch over to flex conduit and then connect to the wiring compartment. Sometimes the floor space is already cut.

You also need to consider the bonding issues and means of disconnect. A 120 volt convenience receptacle is also required.

Old 03-25-12, 08:08 AM
Thank you for your answers. Really appreciated.

As for the 120V receptacle, there is already one that is GFCI protected and will be about 15 feet from the spa. However, if I want to install another one, around 5-8 feet, can I use the #6 wire going from the panel to the GFCI box, another #6 to the spa and a #14 to a receptacle? The box has room for the double GFCI breaker and another 120V breaker. Is the #6 wire rated 75A? Or do I need to run #4 from the panel to the GFCI box?

Old 03-25-12, 08:42 AM
Group Moderator
can I use the #6 wire going from the panel to the GFCI box, another #6 to the spa and a #14 to a receptacle?
The 120v receptacle would need to be protected by a breaker. I would suggest #12 for the receptacle on a 20 amp breaker.

Is the #6 wire rated 75A? Or do I need to run #4 from the panel to the GFCI box?
Feeder breaker size is not determined by adding up the ratings of the breakers in the subpanel. 60 amps should be okay.

Old 03-30-12, 07:20 PM
OK, so I went and bought everything I need this evening. I am leaning at leaving the wire 2-3 inches to the right of the spa and once the spa is in place, I would use a flex tube to protect the wire and enter the spa from the side. Sincce I also think that positioning the cable under the spa would make it difficult to position the 600 pound beast...

Now my question is: Home Depot doesn't sell 1" or 1 1/4" flex tube rated for outside usage. Which tube should I use? And where can I buy them? Or am I missing something with the last 2 feet to the spa? I have everything else figured out!

Thanks again

Old 03-31-12, 08:19 AM
Group Moderator
Now my question is: Home Depot doesn't sell 1" or 1 1/4" flex tube rated for outside usage. Which tube should I use? And where can I buy them? Or am I missing something with the last 2 feet to the spa? I have everything else figured out!
Are you sure?

1 in. x 50 ft.Liquidtite Non-Metallic Conduit-6004-24-00 at The Home Depot

1-1/4 in. x 50 ft.Liquidtite Flexible Steel Conduit-6205-24-00 at The Home Depot

They may also sell it by the foot. Otherwise, go to an electrical supplier. They will sell it by the foot for sure.

Old 03-31-12, 09:04 AM
Group Moderator
And don't forget hardware stores.