Interruptible A/C Service AC-10 Enclosure

Old 03-27-12, 11:26 AM

Can someone please direct me to an online link where I can buy a "NEMA 3R Enclosure (AC-10)"?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-12, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator
Old 03-27-12, 06:20 PM
Group Moderator
Most electrical suppliers will also carry them. Oh, online. Did you try searching google? I only got 497,00 results. I have never heard of AC-10, but 3R is an outdoor enclosure. Is that what your looking for?

Old 03-28-12, 07:03 PM
I know about interruptible natural gas service, but never heard of interruptible electric service. Can you explain it a bit further?

Old 03-29-12, 05:13 AM
It's a service offered by my power utility company. You can run your a/c directly from a separate meter that is radio controlled for a 20% reduction in cost. The meter can be shut down for 15 minutes at a time followed by a minimum of 15 minutes of operation; the maximum down time per day is 4 hours. The purpose is to keep total electrical grid consumption low enough to prevent blackout.

I had this service at my old house for several years and my neighbor at my new residence has it. You can monitor the down time... at my old house the meter was rarely ever shut down at all and it never exceeded 1 hour per day on very hot days when energy consumption was high. In my opinion, it's definitely worth it even for a/c alone and now I have a heat pump so I should increase my savings even further.

Old 03-29-12, 07:11 AM
Online? Home Depot stocks them, but personally I'd go to Platt Electric Supply and ask the nice person at the counter which of the many types they stock would be the best fit for your system and meet Detroit Edison's requirements.

Old 03-29-12, 07:18 AM
For CasualJoe and anyone else who''s interested, this information from Detroit Edison appears to cover the interruptible electric service the OP is asking about. The details for residential service start on p. 7-15-1. Looks pretty cool (er, no, I didn't intend that)!

Old 03-29-12, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator
Yeah...I understand now. We had that for a while back in VA. You got a credit if at any time in the billing cycle they shut off your A/C. It wasn't 20% though....more like a single $10 or $20. And it was a single credit even if they cut it off 10 times.

As I remember though...all they did was mount a small receiver that interrupted the low voltage to the condenser unit. It had a little window with red and green LEDs so you knew if they had cut it off or if you had an A/C problem when you came home to a warm house. So your air handler would still come on when cooling was called for, but the heavy load of the compressor and outside fan never did. I think there was a connection to the outside disconnect for the A/C to provide power, but they didn't really interrupt AC power at any point.

Everything was provided by the PoCo.

I'd had it about 2 yrs, when I transferred to CA and rented the house out. A year later my wife moved back and they no longer offered the program. The enclosure was still there, but it was empty of any electronics.

In the 2 years I think they turned it off maybe 3 or 4 times. And since it was in the same time frame during the hottest part of the summers...I prob got 1 or 2 credits.

Old 03-29-12, 08:04 AM
Yep, you got it.

That's what the AC-10 enclosure is for. I need to provide labeled 24v wiring to the AC-10 box and then DTE comes out and attaches their remote unit to the top of the AC-10 box.