wall mount Euro range hood

Old 03-30-12, 04:21 PM
wall mount Euro range hood

Please, we just received our new range hood. The original 50 year old range hood was manually wired, no plug. The new Euro style comes with an electrical plug.
I am wondering if I could attach a new elec. box to a 2x4, put a plug in there, wire the original line into the new plug and then use this plug for the new range hood? Sorry for the very plain explanation, I am not an electrician, however I can do very basic electrical work.
Thank you in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-12, 05:15 PM
Group Moderator
Yes, you can run the cable into a box, connect the wire to a new receptacle, and connect the cord from the hood to the new receptacle. The box does not need to be recessed in the wall but is required to be accessible.

Old 03-30-12, 05:56 PM
Group Moderator
I am wondering if I could attach a new elec. box to a 2x4
No need to fasten to the stud. Just use an old work box. It has ears to grab the wall and hold it in place.

Old 03-30-12, 06:03 PM
The cord should be coming out of the top of your new hood. Standard practice is to set the old-work box which ray2047 suggested into the back of the cabinet above the hood and feed the cord through a hole drilled for it in the bottom of the cabinet.

Old 03-31-12, 06:22 AM
Thank you all so much. The Range Hood is self hanging wall mounted, no cabinet. We have a soffit below the ceiling and I am planning to put the receptacle at the very top under the soffit inside of the stainless steel cover but outside of the chimney pipe.

Old 03-31-12, 09:29 AM
Sounds good if it's accessible. All plug-and-cord connections and all receptacles need to be accessible.

Old 03-31-12, 09:30 AM
Group Moderator
So long as the receptacle remains accessible it should be okay. Maybe a couple of pictures would help us determine that. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...-pictures.html

Old 04-01-12, 01:39 PM
I am sorry for such a late response. We should be working on hanging the hood today, we had to get some tools for cutting of the stainless steel chimney yesterday. Here is the picture of the range hood area.

I am attaching link to the hood.

The stainless steel chimney cover can be unscrewed. Does that count as accessible?
Thank you

Old 04-01-12, 02:09 PM
Group Moderator
The stainless steel chimney cover can be unscrewed. Does that count as accessible?
I'd say so but wait for the pros on that.

Old 04-01-12, 08:32 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and state that IF the cover is readily removable using only ordinary household hand tools (screwdriver, pliers or adjustable wrench) then it is probably okay. Only your LOCAL building and/or electrical inspection office can give an absolute answer.

Old 04-02-12, 08:57 AM
Two questions: Do you have a SPAGNA VETRO 30-inch Wall-Mounted Stainless Steel Glass Range Hood - SV218D-30? And what does your installation manual tell you about the electrical supply and connection?

Old 04-02-12, 09:43 AM
It is Cavaliere
Here is link to the product with an Install Manual below the Description as a link. I am not able to get the correct url as it is a javascript:
Cavaliere-Euro SV218D-30" Wall Mounted Range Hood with 6-Speed and Timer function
The manual is very limited to an installation information and does not talk about a receptacle. We can't hire an installer right now due to our very limited budget.
Thank you

Last edited by ray2047; 04-02-12 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Fix link.
Old 04-02-12, 10:13 AM
No wonder you're confused! Taken together, this:
6. Disconnect main electrical supply, prepare and run electrical wiring through ceiling or wall. Leave approximately 12 of electrical cord hanging from the ceiling. Do not restore power until wiring is completed.
7. Disconnect power cord,
and this:
9. ...connect power plug to the 12 hanging electrical cord, and connect...
don't seem to add up. It sounds like they're asking you to connect a plug to a whip.

Not to mention that the instructions are for an island mount, not for a wall mount. I think it may be time to call a pro.