15A GFCI/Switch Combo on 20A Circuit

Old 03-31-12, 02:14 PM
15A GFCI/Switch Combo on 20A Circuit

Hello all,

I have a powder room that only has a light switch and no power outlets. I still have to verify but I believe the light switch is on a 20A circuit which is being shared with some other lines. The powder room has a small air vent and light fixture. I plan on removing the light fixture but keeping the vent and plan to add 4 recessed lights with LED lighting. I think each light will use 6 Watts each. The housings typically come with 50 watt halogens. I don't think we will use that outlet much but I like having the option.

The light switch is in a single gang box. Could I install a combo 15A GFCI outlet and light switch on a 20A circuit? I have read that it is permissible to use 15A outlets on 20A circuits as long as its not the only device on the circuit but this is a little different because its a bathroom/GFCI. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-12, 02:59 PM
Group Moderator
I believe the light switch is on a 20A circuit which is being shared with some other lines.
What other rooms are on the circuit will be important. A bathroom combination light/receptacle circuit can only share with another bathroom. You could run a new 20 amp circuit for just the receptacle since lights can share with other unrestricted circuits.