Meter Socket with Disconnect and Breaker

Old 04-03-12, 05:56 PM
Meter Socket with Disconnect and Breaker

I would like to upgrade my new residence from 60 amp fuse box to a 100 amp breaker panel. Minnesota Power requires new service entrances to include a meter socket with a built in disconnect. If I use a meter socket with the required disconnect and a built in 200 amp breaker (1) will that make all panels beyond that 200A breaker 'sub-panels'? (2) what wire would be require from the weather head to the meter? (3) what wire would be required from the meter to my 100 amp breaker panel?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-12, 06:09 PM
If I use a meter socket with the required disconnect and a built in 200 amp breaker
You said you wanted to upgrade to a 100 amp panel, why are you using a meter socket with a 200 amp breaker disconnect? If you MUST use this socket and disconnect, you need to upgrade your panel to 200 amps. That being said, you would use 2/0 copper or 4/0 aluminum, 3 conductors, from the weatherhead down to the meter. From the 200 amp breaker disconnect to the panel you should probably use 2/0 copper or 4/0 aluminum SER cable.

Old 04-04-12, 11:10 PM
I am unable to find the meter socket w/disconnect with a 100 amp breaker. Since this enclosure has a buss that allows multiple (4) sub-panels breaker I assume it needs to be 200A. This panel also has lugs at the bottom of the buss that would allow connecting to a panel without using a breaker at that location. I would like to come out of those lugs and run to a house panel with a 100A main. Would that pass inspection? If so would I need 4/0 SER to go from the lugs to the 100A main?

Old 04-05-12, 07:42 AM
Why not get a meter/loadcenter panel and use a space in it to feed your 100A panel as a subpanel?

Old 04-05-12, 08:54 AM
I already own the meter panel w/200A breaker and the house panel with 100A breaker. I would like to know if I can do this job with the equipment I have and not buy the 100A breaker for the meter panel and another house breaker panel with no main breaker.

Old 04-05-12, 09:28 AM
Group Moderator
If the two panels are the same manufacturer you may be able to swap the breakers. Since the breaker in the second panel (subpanel) only serves as a disconnect it can be larger then the first breaker (main breaker). Even though a main breaker may not be required in the second panel (subpanel) it is okay to have one.

Old 04-05-12, 05:09 PM
I am unable to find the meter socket w/disconnect with a 100 amp breaker. Since this enclosure has a buss that allows multiple (4) sub-panels breaker I assume it needs to be 200A. This panel also has lugs at the bottom of the buss that would allow connecting to a panel without using a breaker at that location. I would like to come out of those lugs and run to a house panel with a 100A main.
Do you have pictures or a spec on the meter/disconnect combo. From your description it sounds as if you could just install a 100 amp breaker under the 200 amp breaker and feed your subpanel from that 100 amp breaker. The lugs at the bottom are probably feed-thru lugs which would allow you to feed a 200 amp panel that would be protected by your 200 amp breaker. More info would help.

Old 04-05-12, 05:28 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome fellow Minnesotan!

MN power companies require meter socket to also have a bypass handle.

(1) Yes, the rest of the panels will be sub panels. The outside panel is your main. You will also need to install a ground wire to your water pipe (#4 copper, #2 aluminum) and a ground rod with #6 copper going to the neutral buss.

(2) You wire to the weather head to the meter AND from the meter to the main breaker (if not installed) needs to be 2/0 copper or 4/0 aluminum.

(3) Here is where it gets a little tricky. If you come off your feed through lugs of the outdoor panel, you will need 200 amp rated wires (2/0 copper or 4/0 aluminum) because that is what the breaker is rated at protecting those wires. This would be a waste of money feeding a 100 amp panel with 200 amp wire since it will only be fused at 100 amps

A better option is to get a 2 pole, 100 amp breaker, and install it in your outdoor panel. Then you could feed your 100 amp panel with #3 copper or #2 aluminum. A 100 amp breaker, depending on brand, will run you $30-$60. Well below the cost of 200 amp wire.
All your equipment you have, will then work.