Need to identify a type of cable

Old 04-03-12, 08:39 PM
Need to identify a type of cable

I bought a house over a year ago but there's one question I forgot to ask the previous owner about. There's a coil of cable in my shop downstairs and here's what it says on it
LL90458 0 CSA AWG 8 CU3 CDRS nmd90 nylon 300 Volts FT1
3 conductors plus ground pretty heavy gauge
I assume it's for a dryer. It is not live just wrapped up with e-tape on all ends. Here's there a way for me to find out where the other end is??? I highly doubt it's tie to the electrical box as all the breakers are ON and I don't see anything with my tester. I have an electrician coming in at the end of the month and I would like him to run that cable to my garage so I could get 220V if that's possible.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-12, 09:02 PM
The 8 guage wire will handle up to 40amps which is adequate for a 220volt dryer as you mentioned. Any chance the past home owner brought it up to an existing dryer recepticle with thoughts in the future of turning that box into a junction point only and relocating the dryer?

Old 04-04-12, 06:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Depending on whether you have 3 conductors plus a ground or just 3 would determine if the cable can be used for a subpanel.

Old 04-04-12, 08:49 AM
It has Black, White, Red plus copper for wires

Old 04-05-12, 06:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Since you have the 4 conductors you can use this as a feeder to a subpanel.

Old 04-05-12, 11:14 AM
I contacted the previous owner. it was for a stove. When they finished the basement they ran the line just in case they would transform the basement into an apartment but from what he told me the other end of the cable is near the electrical panel. Unfortunately I can't see it I see a pvc conduit that seem to run from the end of the cable to the box so I will have to dig into it

Old 04-05-12, 11:21 AM
Any procedure to shut down the mains from the panel? I don't want to fish for a cable where I can't see 3 inches away from the electrical panel!!!

Old 04-05-12, 11:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Turning of the main breaker will kill most of the panel. The incoming lugs will still be hot unless you have the meter pulled. If there is a disconnect near the meter separate from the inside panel this will kill all the inside panel.

Old 04-05-12, 09:13 PM
I found the other end of the cable!!!! It was sitting on the ceiling near the electrical box I had to cut some drywall. Next step is to drill into the foundation to get the cable to the garage. I might just gonna wait for the electrician to do it I'm sure he's done it a few times before!!!

Old 04-10-12, 07:19 PM
Note that I'm gonna do it but I was wondering where the electrician will tap in for that new subpanel that I want install in my garage? Does he take the feed before the existing panel?

Old 04-10-12, 07:50 PM
No. The supply for the new sub-panel MUST come from a properly sized circuit breaker in the Service (main) circuit breaker panel.