Washroom Breaker Keeps tripping

Old 04-06-12, 06:26 AM
Washroom Breaker Keeps tripping

So, last night I go to turn on a heater in my bathroom when all of a sudden the lights turn off and there is no power at the receptacle. I try to reset the outlet but that does nothing. I go to my panel and the breaker has tripped. I reset it and it trips immediately along a sudden blue flash.

I guess it is an issue with the outlet. So, I remove the outlet and everything works fine after I reset the breaker. I try installing a regular outlet (the one without the "test" and "reset" buttons) and the breaker trips immediately after resetting it.

So I am lost from here. Any suggested as what my problem is and how to fix it.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-12, 06:54 AM
The problem sounds like a dead short related to the receptacle. I would remove the receptacle and inspect the wires and the box for any sign of an arc and any damage to the insulation on the wires.

Old 04-06-12, 07:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You have a hot wire touching a grounded surface somewhere. Perhaps a hot wire burned through and is resting against something. Time to go on an easter egg hunt.

Old 04-10-12, 05:03 PM
checked the receptacle out- no sign of any damage to the wires. Took a look at the panel and nothing seems to be out of the ordinary. I figured that it is one of the power wires (black insulation) but cannot find anything wrong with it- I reconnected the receptacle one wire at a time when suddenly one of the hot wires sparked and tripped the breaker.

Old 04-10-12, 06:38 PM
You found the problem, where did the spark or arc come from? Did it arc to the metal box where the wires enter the box?

Old 04-11-12, 06:12 PM
I reconnected the receptacle one wire at a time when suddenly one of the hot wires sparked and tripped the breaker.
Were you intentionally reconnecting the receptacle with the power on? Or was there a wire that was "hot" when you had turned off the breaker that you thought supplied the circuit?