3p 220v

Old 04-08-12, 04:27 PM
3p 220v

I have a piece of equipment running off 220v 3p in my shop. I wanna run an aditional piece of equipment off the existing line without running all new EMT from the breaker box, also i dont think theres any mor space in the box. whats my options? can i just branch off that line safely?? thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-12, 05:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What type equipment is it? Will it, or can it possibly be running when the other application is running? What size wire is it wired with presently, and what size OCP do you have in the panel protecting it? What is the amperage of both pieces of equipment.

Old 04-08-12, 06:16 PM
The original piece is a pressing unit with an internal 20amp breaker, not sure what the total amperage is of the unit. I want to add an electric motor at 6.5 amps, the breaker is rated at 40a. So is it just a matter of making sure my line amps are less than the breaker amp rating, if so, and i find an open space for a 3 pole breaker, to just run the wire to my new piece of equipment with say a 15 or 20amp breaker??

Old 04-08-12, 08:13 PM
You could use the 40 amp wiring and OCP and install a subpanel in the shop, branching off it with a 15 amp breaker to the smaller unit and a 20 amp breaker to the larger one, thereby allowing each to have its own protection.

Old 04-08-12, 09:43 PM
If you have a delta service, also watch out for the high leg.

Old 04-09-12, 02:40 AM
My apologies, and thanks to Justin. I didn't catch the "3P" at the header of your post. I glanced and was thinking 3HP. What you have is not a normal set up in residential situations, so you will need to explain to us the type of 3 phase service you have. It may not be as simple as installing a sub panel. Have you ever worked with 3 phase wiring before?

Old 04-09-12, 08:17 AM
Personally, I think any 3 phase installation or maintenance should be left to a professional!!!

Old 04-09-12, 05:40 PM
As long as that additional piece of equipment is also 3 phase and the same voltage, I'd just install a 60 amp 3 pole fusible disconnect at each piece of equipment and fuse each according to the equipment it feeds. Then, just feed both disconnects with the one circuit. It's not really all that complicated.

Old 04-09-12, 07:16 PM
As long as that additional piece of equipment is also 3 phase and the same voltage, I'd just install a 60 amp 3 pole fusible disconnect at each piece of equipment and fuse each according to the equipment it feeds. Then, just feed both disconnects with the one circuit. It's not really all that complicated.
So we have no need for electricians, if itís all easy

Old 04-09-12, 10:49 PM
thanks seaon and casual joe... finally i get a clear answer. thats what i thought just wanted to make sure

Old 04-10-12, 05:46 PM
So we have no need for electricians, if itís all easy
It's not all that easy, but that one was. This is a DIY forum. If I can help someone, I will. If a project is definitely over the head of the average DIYer, I'll tell them that as well.

Old 04-10-12, 06:04 PM
It's not all that easy, but that one was. This is a DIY forum. If I can help someone, I will. If a project is definitely over the head of the average DIYer, I'll tell them that as well.
I wouldnít know!!! I just have personal opinions. I just believe 3 phase (regardless) should not be handled by DIYers. Heck, some apprentices and electrical helpers (Depending on the amount of time in the trade)arenít allowed to handle 3 phase or 1 phase without a qualified professional. Just my opinion!!! No big deal!!!

Old 04-10-12, 06:45 PM
And I can show you some IBEW Journeyman Electricians who have been through a 4 year apprenticeship who can't wire a single pole light switch. Not my opinion, that's a fact!

Old 04-10-12, 06:55 PM
Group Moderator
You also need to have motor overload protection. Not just overcurrent protection.

Old 04-10-12, 07:00 PM
And I can show you some IBEW Journeyman Electricians who have been through a 4 year apprenticeship who can't wire a single pole light switch. Not my opinion, that's a fact!
Then they just have a paper title. Wow, thatís ridiculous!!!!!!!! The truth: You canít depend on ďjustĒ on the job training, you have to be motivated to learn on your own time. According to IBEW or any other union shop, they have the best the industry can offer. Based on your input, they are telling half the truth!!! Obviously, not everyone is lacking!!! But, if a J-man doesnít know how to install a single pole switch, then he or she needs to find work elsewhere!! In closing, I understand your point!!!

Old 04-10-12, 08:48 PM
Are you joking???? I could wire a single pole switch when I was 4. Literally.

Old 04-10-12, 09:30 PM
Are you joking???? I could wire a single pole switch when I was 4. Literally.
Thatís what I was saying. Doesnít sound real to me!!!

Old 04-11-12, 02:54 PM
Group Moderator
No, Joe's not crazy. I recall my boss telling me that they had a guy on a short call from the hall who couldn't wire a 3-way switch.

Anyhoo, lets keep it on topic guys.